POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A kind of revolution is happening in the United States Server Time
30 Jul 2024 18:09:59 EDT (-0400)
  A kind of revolution is happening in the United States (Message 363 to 372 of 452)
From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: A kind of revolution is happening in the United States
Date: 25 Apr 2011 00:18:05
Message: <4db4f5fd@news.povray.org>
On Sun, 24 Apr 2011 18:12:59 -0700, Darren New wrote:

> On 4/24/2011 16:44, Patrick Elliott wrote:
>> Problem is the "rational evidence" part. How do you tell someone
>> playing at god, with super advanced tech, or even abilities maybe, and
>> that they "are" god in any real sense.
>
>  > There isn't a lot of room for someone coming up with evidence.
>
> If you hven't read Robert Sawyer's "Calculating God" novel, I highly
> recommend it. It's basically a story involving finding scientific
> evidence of a creator of the universe, without it actually contradicting
> what we know scientifically. (I.e., it's not just "god is lying to us"
> sorts of things.)
>
> Very thought-provoking.

I'll have to check that out - thanks!

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Darren New
Date: 25 Apr 2011 01:14:19
Message: <4db5032b$1@news.povray.org>
On 4/24/2011 21:14, Jim Henderson wrote:
> Either you are or you're not.  Belief doesn't come into this.

My belief and the reality of the two are technically orthogonal. Of course,
my belief is causally caused by the reality of the fact that I am indeed
sitting in a chair, along with the fact that my senses are brain functions
are working pretty close to normal.

The fact that I *am* sitting in a chair does not in any way negate the fact
that I believe I'm sitting in a chair. I'm not sure how you dismiss my
belief that I'm sitting in a chair as unrelated to the discussion of whether
that's actually a belief.

> This is a much more complex statement, though - evidence suggests that
> you (and Patrick, and everyone else here) is an actual person.  Belief
> may play into this.

I'm not sure why you're arguing this.

"Do you remember what color car the suspect was driving?"

"I believe it was reddish, maybe orange."

How about "Do you recognize this composer?"  "I believe it's Bach." Does
that mean if it really is Bach, you don't actually believe it's Bach?

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   "Coding without comments is like

Post a reply to this message