POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A kind of revolution is happening in the United States Server Time
31 Jul 2024 10:22:07 EDT (-0400)
  A kind of revolution is happening in the United States (Message 283 to 292 of 452)
From: Warp
Subject: Re: A kind of revolution is happening in the United States
Date: 21 Apr 2011 17:12:02
Message: <4db09da2@news.povray.org>
> The title says a revolution is happening. What's the opposite of a
> scientific revolution? (Or should we just call it an "America"?)

  Pseudoscientific revolution?

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 21 Apr 2011 17:14:11
Message: <4db09e23$1@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 21 Apr 2011 17:12:02 -0400, Warp wrote:

>> The title says a revolution is happening. What's the opposite of a
>> scientific revolution? (Or should we just call it an "America"?)
>
>   Pseudoscientific revolution?

I wouldn't even give it that much credit.  That puts it on par with
homeopathy.  It's even lower than that, because it doesn't even pretend
to be scientific (homeopathy isn't scientific, but it tries to pretend to
be).

I'd call it an 'anti-science revolution'.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

> On Thu, 21 Apr 2011 17:12:02 -0400, Warp wrote:

> > Orchid XP v8 <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:
> >> The title says a revolution is happening. What's the opposite of a
> >> scientific revolution? (Or should we just call it an "America"?)
> >
> >   Pseudoscientific revolution?

> I wouldn't even give it that much credit.  That puts it on par with
> homeopathy.  It's even lower than that, because it doesn't even pretend
> to be scientific (homeopathy isn't scientific, but it tries to pretend to
> be).

  What do you mean? ID does pretend to be scientific.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

On Thu, 21 Apr 2011 17:43:34 -0400, Warp wrote:

>> >   Pseudoscientific revolution?
>
>> I wouldn't even give it that much credit.  That puts it on par with
>> homeopathy.  It's even lower than that, because it doesn't even pretend
>> to be scientific (homeopathy isn't scientific, but it tries to pretend
>> to be).
>
>   What do you mean? ID does pretend to be scientific.

I was thinking of something else (but of course I can't remember what
now).  You are correct that ID does try to pretend to be - I guess I'm
having a problem with "scientific" being combined with "religious belief"
and that's what led me to say "anti-scientific" - as I see 'religious
belief' as being antithetical to 'knowledge'.

Jim

Post a reply to this message