POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A kind of revolution is happening in the United States Server Time
31 Jul 2024 14:21:13 EDT (-0400)
  A kind of revolution is happening in the United States (Message 263 to 272 of 452)
From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: A kind of revolution is happening in the United States
Date: 20 Apr 2011 16:05:45
Message: <4daf3c99$1@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 20 Apr 2011 15:14:36 -0400, John VanSickle wrote:

> They were by no means "undeniably" Christian.  There is good ground to
> deny.

Explain. :)

> When contacted by American chaplains, many German prisoners-of-war
> professed either atheism or nature-worship.  It is true that most were
> nominally Christians (specifically, either Lutheran or Catholic), but
> they had long abandoned whatever faith they had acquired from either of
> these churches.

Some undoubtedly did.  I didn't say "all", I said "most".  Finding
counterexamples really doesn't disprove the point.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: andrel
Date: 20 Apr 2011 17:09:20
Message: <4DAF4B7E.80909@gmail.com>
On 20-4-2011 0:14, Darren New wrote:
> On 4/19/2011 14:51, Alain wrote:
>> In the case of ID, you effectively need to find and test every single
>> protein, enzimes, peptides and aminoacids in existance and their
>> predecessors to find at least one that can't possibly happen naturaly.
>
> That has nothing to do with proving ID.

It does unfortunately.

> The problem is that there are an infinite number of untestable theories
> out there. In order to show *any* support at all for ID, you not only
> have to find something that didn't/couldn't evolve naturally, but you
> have to show how it *did* come from God.

Don't confuse the messenger with the message. Most advocates of ID are
Christians, but they could be muslim, jews and polytheists or animists too.

The devilish scheme they use is playing within our rules. It is clear
that Creationism is not science, no hypothesis, no explanatory power, no
evidence and not testable.

So what they do is formulate something as a hypothesis that is testable.
It doesn't matter that every protein or whatever they throw at the
scientists will be taken to pieces and strengthen the case for
evolution. There will always be more examples to have them refute. The
number is finite, so it is in principle decidable and testable. Only it
will take decades to disprove all possible claims.

There are similarities with a filibuster. It is within the rules of the
game, and you can not prevent it without braking the whole process. Yet
is costs lots of time. And you can always hope that before they finished
you can think of another useless hypothesis or even better that your
party will have taken control of education and science funding.

> Depending, of course, on what you mean by "naturally". It's entirely
> possible one might find something that could not have arisen without the
> interference of intelligent planning and forethought but which is
> nevertheless completely naturally evolved.
>
> But disproving that every single molecule of life on Earth is evolved
> does nothing zero nada towards proving what *did* happen with that
> molecule. Even *if* every single protein could not possibly have evolved
> naturally, that doesn't tell you anything about how it *did* come to be.

If you look closely at the statements of ID you will find that there is
no reference to who or what that 'intelligent designer' is or even how
many there are.
In practice a lot of ID advocates do not fully understand the concept
and claim that they know the name of the designer. At that point they
invalidate their own claim of it being a scientific hypothesis and their
proposal will be taken out of the process.
I am always amazed by the number of stupid mistakes they make. If their
proposals had been more intelligently designed they could have been so
much more effective in their quest for the removal of critical thinking
from the US.

--
Apparently you can afford your own dictator for less than 10 cents per
citizen per day.

Post a reply to this message

>>> In the case of ID, you effectively need to find and test every single
>>> protein, enzimes, peptides and aminoacids in existance and their
>>> predecessors to find at least one that can't possibly happen naturaly.
>>
>> That has nothing to do with proving ID.
>
> It does unfortunately.

No, really, it doesn't, even if you accept "ID" to mean "intelligent design".

You've simply found something that evolution fails at. But nobody has proven
that there is no mechanism other than ID and evolution.

> So what they do is formulate something as a hypothesis that is testable.

And what is the hypothesis? That a particular protein didn't evolve? Or that
some intelligence actually created that protein?

> If you look closely at the statements of ID you will find that there is no
> reference to who or what that 'intelligent designer' is or even how many
> there are.

But there's a reference to intelligence and design. "This protein could not
have evolved", even if found, does not imply "someone designed it."

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   "Coding without comments is like

Post a reply to this message

>>> That has nothing to do with proving ID.
>>
>> It does unfortunately.
>
> No, really, it doesn't, even if you accept "ID" to mean "intelligent
> design".
>
> You've simply found something that evolution fails at.

indeed

> But nobody has
> proven that there is no mechanism other than ID and evolution.

indeed

>> So what they do is formulate something as a hypothesis that is testable.
>
> And what is the hypothesis? That a particular protein didn't evolve? Or
> that some intelligence actually created that protein?

That there are proteins (etc.) that didn't evolve by natural selection.
Or even weaker that their presence is easier explained by design than as
a result of natural selection. (hijacking Occam's razor).

I know of no other way of disproving that, than by checking each and
every protein (etc.). I you know another way how to defuse this bomb,
feel free to share.

>> If you look closely at the statements of ID you will find that there
>> is no
>> reference to who or what that 'intelligent designer' is or even how many
>> there are.
>
> But there's a reference to intelligence and design. "This protein could
> not have evolved", even if found, does not imply "someone designed it."

But in all likelihood it would imply that it's presence would be easier
explained by assuming it was designed. By someone, something, a
committee, or a mad scientist.