From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 20 Apr 2011 18:42:20
Message: <4daf614c$1@news.povray.org>
On 4/19/2011 3:14 PM, Darren New wrote:
> On 4/19/2011 14:51, Alain wrote:
>> In the case of ID, you effectively need to find and test every single
>> protein, enzimes, peptides and aminoacids in existance and their
>> predecessors to find at least one that can't possibly happen naturaly.
>
> That has nothing to do with proving ID.
>
> The problem is that there are an infinite number of untestable theories
> out there. In order to show *any* support at all for ID, you not only
> have to find something that didn't/couldn't evolve naturally, but you
> have to show how it *did* come from God.

Not to split hairs here, but while its pretty damn obvious they "want"
god to be the answer, in nearly all cases, there are still a small
subset that may be serious about the whole, "Life here couldn't have
evolved, so maybe space aliens..." Yeah, I know, its bloody idiotic, but
ID can exist without god, in principle. Still doesn't help matters at
all for them, since the central premise to the whole thing is,
"Complexity doesn't happen by chance.", which is demonstratively false,
in and of itself. On the contrary, complexity happens because the
universe isn't some huge mass of stuff, all of which forms crystal
lattices when it gets jammed together. The number of things that do is
small, and even then, other things get mixed in and disorder it. The
finite state of entropy isn't perfect order, its a stable, but near
complete chaos. And, as things try to balance out and reach a stable
state, the interim result is ordered complexity.