POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A kind of revolution is happening in the United States Server Time
31 Jul 2024 06:20:56 EDT (-0400)
  A kind of revolution is happening in the United States (Message 151 to 160 of 452)
From: Invisible
Subject: Re: A kind of revolution is happening in the United States
Date: 15 Apr 2011 04:34:13
Message: <4da80305$1@news.povray.org>
>> The other Americans I've worked with have all been similarly dense.
>> Perhaps this is a reflection not of America, but of upper management. :-P
>
> That would be the laziness and "partisanship" showing. One of the Faux
> elite, who imagine they need know nothing, understand nothing, and do
> nothing, except make sure other people know, and do things. The logic
> is, "Why should I have to know that, as long as someone else does, and
> it works?"

As an intelligent person, I find this attitude obnoxious.

This _should_ be the point where I say "ah well, their loss..." Except
that... well... it isn't, is it?

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Date: 15 Apr 2011 05:21:37
Message: <4da80e21$1@news.povray.org>
On 14/04/2011 17:53, Darren New wrote:

> I think there's little (honest) argument that the climate is changing, a
> little more argument over whether it's caused sufficiently by humans
> that reduction of human pollution will noticeably help (hard to measure
> definitively), and finally the most controversial is simply *what* needs
> to get done to actually fix the problem without causing undue suffering.

This is the thing. I've heard a lot of environmental activists say "we
should stop doing X" or "we should stop doing Y". I haven't heard much
about "we should do Z instead".

Burning fossil fuels is obviously stupid for a number of reasons. And
the alternative is...? What exactly?

Nuclear power works in theory. In practise, if you make even the tiniest
mistake, just once, everything is ruined forever. (Or at least, for
several centuries.) And there's nothing you can do to fix it.

Wind power is great. But... do you really want the whole country to go
black every time the wind stops blowing? Similarly, solar power. You
realise that the sun is below the horizon for hours at a time, right?
And some days, it's just not very sunny. For either of these things to
work, you seriously need high-efficiency power storage, so you can
collect power when it's there, and store it for when it's not.

Waves are more constant. I remember my mum just the other day raving
about how "wind farms are a horrible blot on the landscape. And it's so
STUPID! What happens when the wind stops blowing? Much better to use
waves, which are there all the time. Why don't they do that?" Um,
because to do that you have to defile a beautiful beach somewhere?
Because the area of the country exceeds its perimeter? Because of the
ecological issues of using up a comparatively rare habitat for power
production?

And that's the other thing. Harnessing the wind, the waves or the sun
uses up large areas of land and/or sea. This stuff doesn't grow on trees.

People have tried to make cars that run on electricity rather than
fossil fuels. But that just means that you burn the fuel at the power
plant rather than in the car. And batteries don't yet have the capacity
to store energy as effectively as petrol. Some people are looking at
using the fuel to run an engine [at its optimal efficiency point] which
drives an electric generator. This might quite possibly make cars very
much more efficient, but still work "the same way". (I.e., you put
normal fuel into it, and it goes.) That makes the problem better, but
it's not fixed yet.

My best guess? Use existing organisms to trap the sun's energy. (Let's
face it, they've been perfecting that for a little while now.) And then
use some kind of technology to harness the energy that the plants have
trapped. But that's going to take a little while to figure out.

Recently there was some wave of news articles about how normal lighting
systems had been "banned" and everybody is supposed to use the newer
energy-efficient bulbs. You know, the ones that contain highly toxic
chemicals, take 20 minutes to actually light up, and aren't even very
bright when they do. Yes, they're more efficient, but this really looks
to me like people passing a law before the technology is ready.

My personal theory is that mankind will actually do nothing, and come to
an abrupt end. Either we will poison ourselves to death, or there will
be a global thermonuclear war as people fight over the last few drops of
precious oil. Either way, everybody dies.

The only comfort is that I probably won't be alive to see it...

Post a reply to this message

Le 15/04/2011 11:21, Invisible a écrit :
> This is the thing. I've heard a lot of environmental activists say "we
> should stop doing X" or "we should stop doing Y". I haven't heard much
> about "we should do Z instead".
>
> Burning fossil fuels is obviously stupid for a number of reasons. And
> the alternative is...? What exactly?
>
> Nuclear power works in theory. In practise, if you make even the tiniest
> mistake, just once, everything is ruined forever. (Or at least, for
> several centuries.) And there's nothing you can do to fix it.
>
> Wind power is great. But... do you really want the whole country to go
> black every time the wind stops blowing? Similarly, solar power. You
> realise that the sun is below the horizon for hours at a time, right?
> And some days, it's just not very sunny. For either of these things to
> work, you seriously need high-efficiency power storage, so you can
> collect power when it's there, and store it for when it's not.

All these should raise a question: why would you need a perfect and
continuous source of energy ?
Because you were raised in such environment where performance is
expected and requested all the time... time to change that way of thinking!

It's like email: they are not an INSTANT delivery system.

Back to middle-age, working from dawn to dusk but never past dusk.
Working enough to survive the year, yet the year after is still unknown,
not expecting interest-rate to provide wealth. Working about every day,
in theory, but having great collective break to prepare and celebrate
many holidays. one penny a day, 240 pences a year, such were the
unqualified wages. It also means that there was about 60 days of work
per season, not 90! (ratio of day off was not 1/7, rather 1/3. So you
think that todays week-end is a progress... well 2/7 < 1/3 !).

Also, local production should be sufficient to sustain all. You might
spent ten years without going further than 10 km from your home.

--
Software is like dirt - it costs time and money to change it and move it
around.

Just because you can't see it, it doesn't weigh anything,
and you can't drill a hole in it and stick a rivet into it doesn't mean
it's free.

Post a reply to this message