From: Invisible
Date: 15 Apr 2011 08:09:19
Message: <4da8356f@news.povray.org>
On 15/04/2011 12:24, Le_Forgeron wrote:

> All these should raise a question: why would you need a perfect and
> continuous source of energy ?
> Because you were raised in such environment where performance is
> expected and requested all the time... time to change that way of thinking!

A world without continuous energy is a world without computers - i.e., a
world without *me*. ;-)

Besides, the sun *is* a perfect source of energy. It's not quite
continuous across the whole planet, but every other lifeform manages to
cope with that.

> Back to middle-age, working from dawn to dusk but never past dusk.

Nobody is going back there.

> Also, local production should be sufficient to sustain all. You might
> spent ten years without going further than 10 km from your home.

I agree that living in one place and commuting to another place to do
your day's work is a pretty stupid idea. As is importing toothbrushes
from China rather than making them in the UK.

On the other hand, for any given town or city, only a finite amount of
land is available. Can you really manufacture absolutely everything
needed within that space? Probably not. You ought to be able to manage
quite a bit of it, though.