POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The mysteries of Erlang Server Time
30 Jul 2024 02:18:34 EDT (-0400)
  The mysteries of Erlang (Message 20 to 29 of 29)
From: Darren New
Subject: Re: The mysteries of Erlang
Date: 12 Mar 2011 11:58:55
Message: <4d7ba64f@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> I can't figure out why. Functions are first-class in Lisp, but beyond
> that there's nothing functional about it.

Early versions of LISP were functional. It was for a long time the *only*
popular language you could write anything that looked like functional code in.

Which is the functional language: FORTRAN, C, COBOL, or LISP?

> I wasn't aware that there are any multi-million line mission-critical
> production-grade systems written in Lisp. I suppose there might be
> somewhere. I'm certainly not aware of any well-known commercial entities
> telling everybody that they should use Lisp.

Yahoo was originally all in LISP before it got sold, including the store.
Several large video games are written in LISP. I think the right answer is
that more people use LISP than you think, but they don't advertise it
because it's a competitive advantage.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
     "That was fatal?"