POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The marvels of Win32 Server Time
28 Sep 2024 17:29:27 EDT (-0400)
  The marvels of Win32 (Message 1 to 10 of 19)
From: Invisible
Subject: The marvels of Win32
Date: 9 Oct 2009 08:43:18
Message: <4acf2fe6$1@news.povray.org>
You know, if you sit down and read this stuff, there's actually a *hell*
of a lot of switches and options in there...

Like, you'd think creating a window would just be "hey, please create a
window with this title please". But no. Apart from being able to specify
the title, icon, and initial size and place, you can do a whole heap of
other things:

- You can disable the close button.

- You can adjust the border style.

- You can remove the titlebar completely.

- You can enable or disable resizing the window.

- You can add that little help-icon thingy. You know, the one where the
user clicks the help button, clicks something in the window and gets an
error message saying "sorry, no help available".

- You can select "keep on top".

- You can select horisontal and/or vertical scrollbars.

- You can select whether whatever the window obscures is cached for fast
redraw.

- You can enable file drag/drop. (I'm not kidding...)

- You can do that thing that floating toolbars have, where the titlebar
is rendered smaller than usual and the window won't resize.

- You can have the window initially minimised or maximised.

- You can make it so the window can't become the active window. (I.e.,
you can see it, but can't select it.)

- You can "open" the window but have it invisible initially. (Presumably
you'll make it visible at some point - again presumably once you've
finished adding controls to it.)

This not including all the low-level stuff like what clipping to do,
which drawing context to use, which window messages to send, and a bunch
of other stuff I don't even comprehend yet.

And you thought you could just OPEN a window... ha!

Post a reply to this message

> You know, if you sit down and read this stuff, there's actually a *hell*
> of a lot of switches and options in there...

Yes it's great isn't it? :-)

> And you thought you could just OPEN a window... ha!

To be fair, you can just pretty much just use all the defaults (ie use none
of those flags) and you'll get something resembling a "normal" window.  I
guess they designed it that way.

Post a reply to this message

>> You know, if you sit down and read this stuff, there's actually a
>> *hell* of a lot of switches and options in there...
>
> Yes it's great isn't it? :-)

It'd be greater if the documentation were a little more illunimating -
although it's not too bad.

>> And you thought you could just OPEN a window... ha!
>
> To be fair, you can just pretty much just use all the defaults (ie use
> none of those flags) and you'll get something resembling a "normal"
> window.  I guess they designed it that way.

Yeah, to some extent.

To another extent, there's a fair few layers of backwards compatibility
in there to wade through.

Also, the Win32 concept of a "window" is not the same thing as what you
or I would consider a "window". (E.g., a checkbox is a "window".) Makes
things interesting...

Post a reply to this message

> Also, the Win32 concept of a "window" is not the same thing as what you or
> I would consider a "window". (E.g., a checkbox is a "window".) Makes
> things interesting...

Yes, you need to get your head around that otherwise you're going to be
*very* confused when it comes to adding icons and stuff to your "window"...

Post a reply to this message