POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Could you be a US citizen? Server Time
28 Sep 2024 23:20:05 EDT (-0400)
  Could you be a US citizen? (Message 11 to 20 of 24)
<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 4 Messages >>>
From: Chambers
Subject: Re: Could you be a US citizen?
Date: 17 Sep 2009 22:33:08
Message: <4ab2f164$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Only one did I even have to hesitate and think about, and that's probably due
> to the current level of booze here.

Or the fact that they keep adding Justices?  At least, that's the one I
got wrong.

...Chambers

Post a reply to this message

From: Chambers
Date: 17 Sep 2009 22:34:50
Message: <4ab2f1ca@news.povray.org>
Neeum Zawan wrote:
> On 09/17/09 11:33, Darren New wrote:
>> whether it was a failing of the US education system, a failure of me to
>> pay attention in those classes, or just normal for people not to know
>> even the basics of the history of the other side of the world.
>
>     That presupposes that there is another side of the world.

If there's only one side to the world, does that mean that it's a giant
Mobious strip? :)

...Chambers

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Charter
Date: 17 Sep 2009 23:40:24
Message: <4ab30128@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> http://www.news9.com/global/story.asp?s=11141949

> of living here.  Ten US Citizenship questions at the bottom.
>
> I'm honestly curious how many people from Africa, Europe, and whatever
> else is represented here could answer the questions at the bottom. Only
> one did I even have to hesitate and think about, and that's probably due
> to the current level of booze here.

39% don't know what ocean is the US eastern seaboard? ROFL!

I would have passed barely. 6 correct
My wife, an actual American, got 7.
My daughter, a high schooler and fresh from civics class got 9. (Thought
there were 8 justices.)

Post a reply to this message

From: nemesis
Date: 18 Sep 2009 00:50:00
Message: <web.4ab3114f4aaa4b1577a293f20@news.povray.org>
No, I could not.  I'm not into politics and those questions are all about
politics.  I knew about George Washington, though.

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 18 Sep 2009 02:23:23
Message: <rp96b554imuet11jm05pnr6hek33q36h32@4ax.com>
On Thu, 17 Sep 2009 16:08:43 -0700, Darren New <dne### [at] sanrrcom> wrote:

>Stephen wrote:
>> I did not look it up. I do not understand the question. What does the term "the
>> supreme law of the land" mean?
>
>Oh. The Constitution says in the text that it is the supreme law of the
>land. If other laws are made that are in conflict with the Constitution, the
>Constitution wins. If the Constitution says "You may not keep women from
>voting", and some state passes a law that says women may not vote, that
>state law is overruled by the supreme law of the land and is unenforcible.

OK, thanks. We're probably not used to that idea as we don't have a written
Constitution. (Yet! :)

>> Yes the English Bill of Rights 1689 (An Act Declaring the Rights and Liberties
>> of the Subject and Settling the Succession of the Crown) and the Scottish Bill
>> of Rights (Claim of Right Act 1689) existed 100 years before yours :P
>
>Cool. See what I meant? ;-)

Yes but I couldn't resist it :)
We just talk about consumer rights.
--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Sabrina Kilian
Date: 18 Sep 2009 02:49:54
Message: <4ab32d92$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Stephen wrote:
>> I did not look it up. I do not understand the question. What does the
>> term "the
>> supreme law of the land" mean?
>
> Oh. The Constitution says in the text that it is the supreme law of the
> land. If other laws are made that are in conflict with the Constitution,
> the Constitution wins. If the Constitution says "You may not keep women
> from voting", and some state passes a law that says women may not vote,
> that state law is overruled by the supreme law of the land and is
> unenforcible.

My first reaction was to just shake my head in wonderment about how only
28% could get that right. Then I checked the Supremacy Clause of the
Constitution. It isn't just the Constitution, but also Federal Statutes
and Treaties.

Given recent history, I would not have remembered the last part.

Post a reply to this message

From: m a r c
Date: 18 Sep 2009 03:11:44
Message: <4ab332b0@news.povray.org>

4ab30128@news.povray.org...
> Darren New wrote:
>> http://www.news9.com/global/story.asp?s=11141949

>> of living here.  Ten US Citizenship questions at the bottom.
>>
>> I'm honestly curious how many people from Africa, Europe, and whatever
>> else is represented here could answer the questions at the bottom. Only
>> one did I even have to hesitate and think about, and that's probably due
>> to the current level of booze here.
>>
> 39% don't know what ocean is the US eastern seaboard? ROFL!
>
> I would have passed barely. 6 correct
> My wife, an actual American, got 7.
> My daughter, a high schooler and fresh from civics class got 9. (Thought
> there were 8 justices.)

I got 6 correct  but...
 was is "US"?

Marc

Post a reply to this message

From: Darren New
Date: 18 Sep 2009 12:12:21
Message: <4ab3b165$1@news.povray.org>
Chambers wrote:
> If there's only one side to the world, does that mean that it's a giant
> Mobious strip? :)

I would think it would be a klein bottle.

Actually, wouldn't there be something between a mobeus strip and a klein
bottle?  It seems like there should be. Or is the surface of a klein bottle
a 3-D surface twisted thru 4D, just like a mobeus is a 2-D surface twisted
in 3D?

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)

From: Darren New
Date: 18 Sep 2009 12:15:42
Message: <4ab3b22e$1@news.povray.org>
Sabrina Kilian wrote:
> My first reaction was to just shake my head in wonderment about how only
> 28% could get that right. Then I checked the Supremacy Clause of the
> Constitution. It isn't just the Constitution, but also Federal Statutes
> and Treaties.

I don't believe it has been interpreted that way. Certainly federal statues
are secondary to the constitution in practice, and I believe the question of
treaties is still somewhat open to argument. There are regularly federal
statues struck down as unconstitutional, and I think the argument is that
since the president can't make a treaty without the congress approving it
later, it's also subject to constitutional limits.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)

From: Darren New
Date: 18 Sep 2009 12:18:22
Message: <4ab3b2ce$1@news.povray.org>
Chambers wrote:
> Or the fact that they keep adding Justices?  At least, that's the one I
> got wrong.

It's been nine for as long as I can remember. Occasionally you have
situations where one or more have left and new ones haven't taken their
place, but nine is normal?

Thinking on it, I think they added some way back in the first half of the
1900's or so, maybe?  FDR stacking the deck or something?