POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Copying isn't theft Server Time
29 Sep 2024 23:25:15 EDT (-0400)
  Copying isn't theft (Message 51 to 60 of 89)
From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: Copying isn't theft
Date: 15 May 2009 12:01:18
Message: <4a0d91ce@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 15 May 2009 09:56:27 -0600, somebody wrote:

> "Jim Henderson" <nos### [at] nospamcom> wrote in message
>
>> As Darren says, copyright != ownership.
>
> Ownership of *what*? One can certainly own the copyright, patent,
> trademark, banana, boat... etc. Boat != ownership, people own boats.
>
>> It's the right to control who is permitted to legally copy a work.
>
> And that right *belongs* to ...

Rights belong to the owner, but the legal term for violating the rights
is not "theft".  It's "infringement":

"2) in the law of patents (protected inventions) and copyrights
(protected writings or graphics), the improper use of a patent, writing,
graphic or trademark without permission, without notice, and especially
without contracting for payment of a royalty."

(First definition has to do with trespassing)

Post a reply to this message