POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The most dangerous species of all Server Time
29 Sep 2024 19:21:08 EDT (-0400)
  The most dangerous species of all (Message 75 to 84 of 104)
From: nemesis
Subject: Re: The most dangerous species of all
Date: 2 May 2009 15:08:26
Message: <49fc9a2a$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   Mass extinctions caused by natural disasters (such as a meteor smashing
> the Earth or ice ages) are inevitable. Mass extinctions caused by a sentient
> species, who is doing it on purpose and for selfish reasons, is very much
> avoidable.

It's not avoidable if it is in man's nature to be selfish and an ass.

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Date: 2 May 2009 15:15:15
Message: <49fc9bc3@news.povray.org>
Mueen Nawaz <m.n### [at] ieeeorg> wrote:
>         I think people should vote if they care about the issues, and
> legitimately feel knowledgeable about them.

  That would mean at least 90% of people wouldn't vote at all.

  The vast majority of votes are done for irrelevant reasons like "I have
always voted for this party", "my father has always voted for this party
and taught me to do so as well", "he made such a good speech" (without
ever hearing anyone else's speeches), "she is a woman, and as a woman I have
to support her", or even "he is so handsome". Reasons for *not* voting for
someone include ridiculous ones like "according to polls he won't win, so
I'm not going to waste my vote on him".

  Yeah, this is a sad state of affairs. But my point is that if you are
voting as a symbol of celebration for suffrage, then it's probably a much
better reason than most. (In fact, I would say that if you are doing it
as a symbolic act, you are very likely to be more aware of the politics
of your country than most other voters.)

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

nemesis <nam### [at] nospam-gmailcom> wrote:
> Warp wrote:
> >   Mass extinctions caused by natural disasters (such as a meteor smashing
> > the Earth or ice ages) are inevitable. Mass extinctions caused by a sentient
> > species, who is doing it on purpose and for selfish reasons, is very much
> > avoidable.

> It's not avoidable if it is in man's nature to be selfish and an ass.

  Man's nature can change with proper education. The trajectory of a
meteorite can't.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message