POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The most dangerous species of all : Re: The most dangerous species of all Server Time
29 Sep 2024 21:22:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The most dangerous species of all
From: Warp
Date: 3 May 2009 11:59:04
Message: <49fdbf48@news.povray.org>
Mueen Nawaz <m.n### [at] ieeeorg> wrote:
>         Warp's point is that man (and occasionally, women) has shown he can act
> contrary to nature and come out more or less unscathed.

  I think his point is that since man is a product of nature (at least in
the atheistic view), then man cannot behave in unnatural ways.

  This goes down to the philosophical definition of a sentient being,
and whether sentience makes humans to be above nature (in the sense that
humans are capable of unnatural behavior and thus can be held morally
responsible for it).

  As I said, contrast a meteor smashing the Earth, and mankind making
the same kind of damage as a conscious, deliberate act (caused by
selfishness and greed). The meteor cannot be held morally responsible
because it's not a sentient being and thus doesn't make decisions, but
humans can.

--
                                                          - Warp