POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Fighting piracy on two fronts Server Time
29 Sep 2024 17:19:34 EDT (-0400)
  Fighting piracy on two fronts (Message 50 to 59 of 69)
From: Chambers
Subject: Re: Fighting piracy on two fronts
Date: 27 Apr 2009 10:06:44
Message: <49f5bbf4@news.povray.org>
On 4/26/2009 8:12 PM, somebody wrote:
> I mean after all, a mistake with a gun results in a miss or a
> non-fatal wound by definition, while the only doctor who kills intentionally
> that I can name is Dr Kevorkian.

?

A mistake by a gun-owner results in someone getting shot and possibly
killed.
A mistake by a doctor results in someone getting hurt and possibly killed.

Compare the deaths from the two groups, and deaths from doctors are
higher than deaths by gun owners.  The only mitigating factor I could
possibly think of is that people see doctors more often than gun owners,
so there are more opportunities to make mistakes overall.  I don't know
the ratio of accidental deaths to visits, so that could make a difference.

The latest figures I saw (from a website trying to debunk the "myth," in
fact!) were something like 16,000 killed in the US from guns, and 96,000
by doctors.  Again, these are cases directly resulting in death due to
medical error.

--
...Chambers
www.pacificwebguy.com