POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : COBOL Wow Server Time
29 Sep 2024 19:23:49 EDT (-0400)
  COBOL Wow (Message 13 to 22 of 32)
From: nemesis
Subject: Re: COBOL Wow
Date: 12 Apr 2009 14:25:01
Message: <web.49e230e811354d36bbbb20030@news.povray.org>
Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
> nemesis <nam### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> > 70-80%?  I thought COBOL was pretty much dead after SQL.
>
>   Is SQL even Turing-complete?

No.  But my point is that COBOL was the language to write your business in when
there was:
1) no standard databases
2) no easier language

Even Perl+SQL database via DBI offer a far more robust and easier solution than
COBOL.  It's a language surviving on name.  Common Business... :P

That said, I think it's truly hard to believe COBOL is more used than SQL in
business today.  Every system these days accesses a SQL database in one way or
another, be it written in Java, C#, C++, Perl or, I believe, COBOL.

So, I believe that 70-80% figure sounds highly overrated unless it's counting
SQL out.

Post a reply to this message