POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : COBOL Wow : Re: COBOL Wow Server Time
29 Sep 2024 19:22:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: COBOL Wow
From: nemesis
Date: 12 Apr 2009 16:00:00
Message: <web.49e2478c11354d36bbbb20030@news.povray.org>
Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
> nemesis <nam### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> > Every system these days accesses a SQL database in one way or another
>
>   Btw, is it correct to say "SQL database"?

It may not be accurate, but the meaning is obvious, I guess: RDBMS employing SQL
as main interface.

>   Btw, do database systems (such as Oracle) support any other interfaces
> than SQL?

I heard Oracle supports Java.  PostgreSQL can have stored procedures written in
TCL, Python and Perl, all being used to *complement* SQL.  I don't think there's
that much more convenient a language to fetch relational data than SQL, even C#
with Linq resembles SQL very much.

If only it had some macro processing, it should be much more handy.  While views
can perform the same job, it's at cost of runtime performance.

I'm no fan of SQL.  I wish I was playing with pointers all day.