POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Dubious advertising Server Time
29 Sep 2024 19:22:45 EDT (-0400)
  Dubious advertising (Message 1 to 10 of 18)
From: Orchid XP v8
Subject: Dubious advertising
Date: 5 Feb 2009 03:58:46
Message: <498aaa46@news.povray.org>
Six weeks' paid holiday.
Health and dental care.
Pension plan.

Just what you'd expect for someone in a top job.

*picture of a soldier in full military dress*

Find out more about a career with great benefits.

...if by "great benefits" you mean "you're going to die very young". :-P
Oddly enough, it doesn't mention that part...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

> ...if by "great benefits" you mean "you're going to die very young". :-P
> Oddly enough, it doesn't mention that part...

Are you sure soldiers are more likely to die young than civilians?
Visiting some places in the world could change your mind about that.

Marc

Post a reply to this message

From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 5 Feb 2009 06:50:49
Message: <498ad299@news.povray.org>
m_a_r_c wrote:

> 498aaa46@news.povray.org...
>> ...if by "great benefits" you mean "you're going to die very young". :-P
>> Oddly enough, it doesn't mention that part...
>>
> Are you sure soldiers are more likely to die young than civilians?
> Visiting some places in the world could change your mind about that.

Well, where *I* live it vastly decreases your changes of staying alive,
let's put it that way.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: Warp
Date: 5 Feb 2009 10:19:40
Message: <498b038b@news.povray.org>
> changes

  You keep using that word. I don't think it means what you think it means.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 5 Feb 2009 13:48:37
Message: <498b3485@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>> changes
>
>   You keep using that word. I don't think it means what you think it means.

Yes, yes, I often type one word when I mean another, especially when
typing fast. So shoot me. :-P

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: Darren New
Date: 5 Feb 2009 14:33:15
Message: <498b3efb$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> Six weeks' paid holiday.

Six weeks' paid holiday, but no weekends off, maybe.

> ...if by "great benefits" you mean "you're going to die very young". :-P

Relatively few soldiers in the US army at least actually die, unless there's
like a world war going on. The US tends to throw more equipment at stuff
than people.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   "Ouch ouch ouch!"

Post a reply to this message

From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 5 Feb 2009 16:15:15
Message: <498b56e3$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> Warp wrote:
>> Orchid XP v8 <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:
>>> changes
>>
>>   You keep using that word. I don't think it means what you think it
>> means.
>
> Yes, yes, I often type one word when I mean another, especially when
> typing fast. So shoot me. :-P

No, he'll just poison you with iocane powder.

;-)

Post a reply to this message

From: John VanSickle
Date: 5 Feb 2009 21:40:05
Message: <498ba305$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> Six weeks' paid holiday.
> Health and dental care.
> Pension plan.
>
> Just what you'd expect for someone in a top job.
>
> *picture of a soldier in full military dress*
>
> Find out more about a career with great benefits.
>
> ...if by "great benefits" you mean "you're going to die very young". :-P
> Oddly enough, it doesn't mention that part...

"This is why Darwin is not just another English family name."

Come on.  If you sign up for military service, and don't know that
military folks gets killed every so often, you definitely need someone
to do your thinking for you.

Regards,
John

Post a reply to this message

From: Phil Cook v2
Date: 6 Feb 2009 04:55:11
Message: <op.uoxciduumn4jds@phils>
And lo On Thu, 05 Feb 2009 11:48:31 -0000, m_a_r_c
<jac### [at] wanadoofr> did spake thusly:

> "Orchid XP v8" <voi### [at] devnull> a écrit dans le message de news:
> 498aaa46@news.povray.org...
>>
>> ...if by "great benefits" you mean "you're going to die very young". :-P
>> Oddly enough, it doesn't mention that part...
>>
> Are you sure soldiers are more likely to die young than civilians?

I think soldier could be reasonably classed as an 'at risk' career
compared to being a civilian.

> Visiting some places in the world could change your mind about that.

Except they're not talking to civilians already situated in warzones,
they're talking to us and as such the comparision is between staying in
the UK (or yes working in Europe/US) and heading off into conflict.

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com

Post a reply to this message

From: Phil Cook v2
Date: 6 Feb 2009 04:56:45
Message: <op.uoxckvphmn4jds@phils>
And lo On Fri, 06 Feb 2009 02:40:03 -0000, John VanSickle
<evi### [at] hotmailcom> did spake thusly:

> Orchid XP v8 wrote:
>> Six weeks' paid holiday.
>> Health and dental care.
>> Pension plan.
>>  Just what you'd expect for someone in a top job.
>>  *picture of a soldier in full military dress*
>>  Find out more about a career with great benefits.
>>  ...if by "great benefits" you mean "you're going to die very young".
>> :-P Oddly enough, it doesn't mention that part...
>
> "This is why Darwin is not just another English family name."
>
> Come on.  If you sign up for military service, and don't know that
> military folks gets killed every so often, you definitely need someone
> to do your thinking for you.

Given the standards of education in this country I wouldn't be at all
surprised if those joining up think they'll just get to re-load from an
earlier save-point.

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com