POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Woo, GPU! Server Time
30 Sep 2024 05:22:11 EDT (-0400)
  Woo, GPU! (Message 31 to 40 of 71)
From: scott
Subject: Re: Woo, GPU!
Date: 29 Jan 2009 06:38:06
Message: <4981951e$1@news.povray.org>
> http://www.giga-byte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Products_Spec.aspx?ProductID=1867
>
> Click to enlarge the image. You'll see 4 *yellow* SATA connectors. Those
> are from the nForce 4 chipset. You'll also see 4 *red* SATA connectors.

Can't you use the other PCIe slot for the new GPU?  Or does the first one
have to go in the right slot?

Does the GPU really cover all 4 of the SATA sockets? Wow.

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Date: 29 Jan 2009 06:44:21
Message: <49819695$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:

> Can't you use the other PCIe slot for the new GPU?  Or does the first
> one have to go in the right slot?

I *believe* the first GPU has to go in the upper slot. I'll check the
manual. (The manual is currently downloading from Gigabyte's website at
roughly 1KB/sec, as is typical for motherboard downloads...)

> Does the GPU really cover all 4 of the SATA sockets? Wow.

Well, I haven't actually tried it, but it's 2 bays wide, and holding it
up against the motherboard (which isn't easy) it appears to be longer
then the full width of the board, so...

Post a reply to this message

> I *believe* the first GPU has to go in the upper slot. I'll check the
> manual. (The manual is currently downloading from Gigabyte's website at
> roughly 1KB/sec, as is typical for motherboard downloads...)

Hehe, would be quicker just to try it out and see if it boots or not.

Yeh, why is it that all MB manufacturers have websites with a total
bandwidth of 4kb/sec?  And just when you need some simple onboard sound
driver quickly, you see it's a 63MB download and it's going to take 3 weeks
to complete.

> Well, I haven't actually tried it, but it's 2 bays wide, and holding it up
> against the motherboard (which isn't easy) it appears to be longer then
> the full width of the board, so...

To cover all 4 SATA sockets it must be pretty thick.

Post a reply to this message

>> I *believe* the first GPU has to go in the upper slot. I'll check the
>> manual. (The manual is currently downloading from Gigabyte's website
>> at roughly 1KB/sec, as is typical for motherboard downloads...)
>
> Hehe, would be quicker just to try it out and see if it boots or not.

Well, maybe. :-P Currently at... ooo, 48%? o_O

> Yeh, why is it that all MB manufacturers have websites with a total
> bandwidth of 4kb/sec?  And just when you need some simple onboard sound
> driver quickly, you see it's a 63MB download and it's going to take 3
> weeks to complete.

Yeah, why the **** is that??? Like, even if the download is 78KB, it's
the slowest 78KB of your entire life! o_O

> To cover all 4 SATA sockets it must be pretty thick.

Have you *seen* the photograph??

Post a reply to this message

> Can't you use the other PCIe slot for the new GPU?

No. You can't.

Post a reply to this message