POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : semi OT: convert a ttf to a prism. Server Time
30 Sep 2024 01:16:47 EDT (-0400)
  semi OT: convert a ttf to a prism. (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: Shay
Subject: semi OT: convert a ttf to a prism.
Date: 22 Jan 2009 14:38:28
Message: <4978cb34$1@news.povray.org>
I am having some decals made for my bike. Right now, the images consist
of POV-Ray bezier spline prisms and a ttf I purchased. The former can be
translated easily enough to a vector format, but I'm not sure about the
latter. I'd hate to have to open each letter in font forge and manually
extract the geometry information.

Is there a better way?

  -Shay

Post a reply to this message

> I am having some decals made for my bike. Right now, the images consist
> of POV-Ray bezier spline prisms and a ttf I purchased. The former can be
> translated easily enough to a vector format, but I'm not sure about the
> latter. I'd hate to have to open each letter in font forge and manually
> extract the geometry information.

> Is there a better way?

  Use the text primitive? It does precisely what you want: Create a prism
using the given ttf file, with the given text characters.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

>   Use the text primitive? It does precisely what you want: Create a prism
> using the given ttf file, with the given text characters.
That's exactly what I've done, but the printer is requesting the logos
in vector (not image) format. I believe there are font formats which are
equivalent to vector formats, but I want something I can combine with my
existing vector graphics. That's why I'm asking for prisms.

I have converted prisms to vector graphics in the past.

  -Shay

Post a reply to this message

From: stbenge
Date: 22 Jan 2009 18:44:39
Message: <497904e7@news.povray.org>
Shay wrote:
> I am having some decals made for my bike. Right now, the images consist
> of POV-Ray bezier spline prisms and a ttf I purchased. The former can be
> translated easily enough to a vector format, but I'm not sure about the
> latter. I'd hate to have to open each letter in font forge and manually
> extract the geometry information.
>
> Is there a better way?
>
>  -Shay

I'm not sure about your work flow, but you can convert a text object to
a vector path using Inkscape. Select the text object then go to: Path >
Object to path.

It sounds like you are trying to recreate a logo you made in POV-Ray.
You might want to render it first, then use it as a background object
inside Inkscape so you can position the text. I've done a lot of this
kind of work with Illustrator.

Sam

Post a reply to this message

From: Shay
Date: 22 Jan 2009 21:04:37
Message: <497925b5@news.povray.org>
stbenge wrote:

> I'm not sure about your work flow, but you can convert a text object to
> a vector path using Inkscape. Select the text object then go to: Path >
> Object to path.

Perfect. Thank you.

  -Shay

Post a reply to this message

From: stbenge
Date: 23 Jan 2009 00:53:33
Message: <49795b5d$1@news.povray.org>
Shay wrote:
> stbenge wrote:
>>
>> I'm not sure about your work flow, but you can convert a text object
>> to a vector path using Inkscape. Select the text object then go to:
>> Path > Object to path.
>
> Perfect. Thank you.

Glad I could help.