POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Compiling stuff Server Time
30 Sep 2024 09:15:49 EDT (-0400)
  Compiling stuff (Message 274 to 283 of 283)
From: Nicolas Alvarez
Subject: Re: Compiling stuff
Date: 18 Dec 2008 14:44:38
Message: <494aa826@news.povray.org>
Chambers wrote:
> [...]

That's not correct. DirectX DLLs have no chance in hell of running in Linux,
for example, since they probably talk to some Windows-specific thing to
talk to the graphics cards. WINE has a full implementation of DirectX that
calls OpenGL functions instead of... whatever Windows DLLs do.

 "If a library tries to access features of the rest of the system that are
not fully implemented in Wine, the native DLL might work much worse than
the corresponding built-in one, if at all. For example, the native Windows
GDI library must be paired with a Windows display driver, which of course
is not present under Intel Unix and Wine.

 Finally, occasionally built-in Wine DLLs implement more features than the
corresponding native Windows DLLs. Probably the most important example of
such behavior is the integration of Wine with X provided by Wine's built-in
USER DLL. Should the native Windows USER library take load-order
precedence, such features as the ability to use the clipboard or
drag-and-drop between Wine windows and X windows will be lost."

Post a reply to this message