POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Compiling stuff Server Time
30 Sep 2024 15:24:49 EDT (-0400)
  Compiling stuff (Message 244 to 253 of 283)
From: Mueen Nawaz
Subject: Re: Compiling stuff
Date: 17 Dec 2008 12:32:08
Message: <49493798$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Does it do both double and single entry bookkeeping (in different files,
> obviously)?  Does it download statements from your bank?  Does it export
> to tax preparation software?

	As for the first, I believe so. I've kind of forgotten what
double/single entry bookkeeping is. <Looks up Wikipedia>

	I suspect it does double by default. You have an account for, say, your
checking account. And separate accounts for stuff like Groceries, Bills,
Clothes, etc (you can create your own). If you go to Walmart and buy
some groceries and clothes, and pay with a credit card, then you can
enter the total in the credit card amount, and then "split" that entry
to specify how much went for groceries and how much for clothes. It then
automatically updates the groceries and clothes account to reflect this.
You could, of course, manually enter them in those accounts and have the
CC account be automatically updated - it's all up to you.

	Not sure what you mean by different files. I never checked how it
stores the stuff on the disk - other than noticing that it does use more
than one file.<G>

	I've never checked for single entry capability. But, you know, can't
you just create a dummy account and use double entry as single entry?
You just itemize in the main account, and have the other entry go to the
dummy account...

	I know they have some download capabilities from banks. I somehow doubt
it's as convenient as Quicken et. al. You can try it.

	Export to tax software - what format does it expect it in? It has no
custom feature for this - just a generic export command.

	(I live a simple life - haven't needed these things). Downloading CC
statements for me is a no-no as it doesn't contain information on how
much I spent on groceries, supplies, etc in one shopping trip to a
store. I manually enter that (actually fairly easy with Gnucash).

	Actually, gnucash handles all my needs quite well, except for budgeting
which I sorely want. I'll either code it myself - if it's easy. Or
perhaps I'll try Moneydance that Jim suggested. It's just that I've kind
of gotten used to gnucash. And I'm somewhat wary regarding proprietary
software. If Moneydance can export into a format that gnucash can easily
read - I may switch to it. Always want a backup plan when it comes to
stuff like money ;-)

--
"Apple I" (c) Copyright 1767, Sir Isaac Newton.

                   /  \/  \ u e e n     /  \/  a w a z
                                   anl

Post a reply to this message