POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Compiling stuff : Re: Compiling stuff Server Time
30 Sep 2024 17:25:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Compiling stuff
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 17 Dec 2008 12:55:10
Message: <49493cfe$1@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 17 Dec 2008 16:26:22 +0000, Invisible wrote:

>>> Isn't everything? ;-)
>>
>> As long as you take the time to learn it instead of giving up after 5
>> minutes and declare it "impossible". ;-)
>
> Actually it was 2 hours and not 5 minutes, so :-P

You know what I mean.  My stepson, when he was 12 or 13, decided to take
up the flute.  He got frustrated when he didn't become an expert in two
weeks.

That just doesn't happen, even with natural talent.  There is no
substitute for actual experience, and that doesn't happen overnight (as I
constantly taught in classes I taught; I had consultants who wanted me to
impart 15 years of directory services experience in 5 days.  Sorry, that
ain't gonna happen).

>>> I'm pretty sure when I tried that, it told you how to invoke vi and
>>> all the command-line switches, but not how to actually work the
>>> editor. (A bit like the man page for GCC not telling you how to write
>>> C programs.)
>>>
>>> (Also, I'm almost cetain it was vi, not vim.)
>>
>> The current man page is pretty good.  vi = vim, they're the same
>> program now.
>
> I'm just astonished that after all the editor wars, there still isn't a
> Unix text-mode editor that's actually *easy* to use, that's all...

vi *is* easy to use.  I use it daily.  You think I'd use something that
was difficult to use?

But there are plenty of other choices - emacs, pico, nano, joe - all text-
mode editors, all with different interfaces so you can pick one and use
it.

Jim