POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Compiling stuff Server Time
30 Sep 2024 21:28:38 EDT (-0400)
  Compiling stuff (Message 214 to 223 of 283)
From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: Compiling stuff
Date: 16 Dec 2008 21:23:57
Message: <494862bd$1@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 16 Dec 2008 14:45:30 +0000, Invisible wrote:

> This should be 100% impossible, but somehow they did it. And they did it
> better than the makers themselves...

Damn, you beat me to it. ;-)

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 16 Dec 2008 21:28:47
Message: <494863df$1@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 16 Dec 2008 20:04:02 +0000, Orchid XP v8 wrote:

> Windows, on the other hand, is a vast lump of software purposely
> designed to be difficult to understand.

There's the fallacy of your argument.  Windows' code isn't purposely
designed to be difficult to understand - that's something that generally
naturally happens when a project becomes very large.

The Linux kernel could be said to be very difficult to understand because
of its complexity, but ask any of the developers if they intentionally
make it difficult to understand, and you'll probably get laughed off the
planet.

Again, as much as I dislike Microsoft (mostly for their business
practices more than anything), I can't attribute to malice the problems
with their software.  Whether you develop closed-source or open-source
software, to get your changes committed to the official source tree, you
have to have a pretty good idea of what you're doing.  In the OSS world,
you don't gain points by trying to obfuscate your code and make it
difficult to understand.  The same is true in the closed-source world.

Jim

Post a reply to this message