POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Compiling stuff : Re: Compiling stuff Server Time
1 Oct 2024 00:08:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Compiling stuff
From: Chambers
Date: 17 Dec 2008 02:32:03
Message: <433F432D48EA4D7798D2B229EA9FDD78@HomePC>

WINE Is Not an Emulator.  They don't really reverse engineer anything
(that is, they don't reimplement the Windows core DLLs or anything),
rather they allow Windows .exe's to run on Linux, and allow dynamic
linking of Windows DLLs under Linux.

In other words, it allows native Windows apps to run under Linux as if
they were under Windows.

It's surprisingly effective (although none of the programs *I* needed when
I tried it worked, it's still a cool concept).

...Ben Chambers
www.pacificwebguy.com