POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Just wondering... Server Time
30 Sep 2024 17:26:52 EDT (-0400)
  Just wondering... (Message 21 to 30 of 32)
<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 2 Messages >>>
From: Invisible
Subject: Re: Just wondering...
Date: 17 Oct 2008 04:08:25
Message: <48f847f9$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:

> Exactly.  No matter how exactly I think I am copying how my gf
> pronounces a word, she still tells me it's not correct, and she says it
> sounds like I'm from Holland (as a lot of English trying to speak German
> do, apparently). Funnily enough, she says when I speak Bavarian she
> can't tell me apart from a native!

...that's what SHE said. ;-)

Post a reply to this message

From: m a r c
Date: 17 Oct 2008 09:45:42
Message: <48f89706@news.povray.org>

48f7c440@news.povray.org...
> I've noticed that English seems to have two of many words meaning similar
> things but with slightly different connotations. One tends to come from
> the Spanish/Latin kind of words, with the other coming from the German.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_I_of_England  ;-)

Marc

Post a reply to this message

From: Darren New
Date: 17 Oct 2008 12:08:31
Message: <48f8b87f$1@news.povray.org>
m_a_r_c wrote:

> 48f7c440@news.povray.org...
>> I've noticed that English seems to have two of many words meaning simi
lar
>> things but with slightly different connotations. One tends to come fro
>> the Spanish/Latin kind of words, with the other coming from the German
.

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_I_of_England  ;-)

Well, yes, I know *why* it happened. I just thought it was interesting
that there were slightly different connotations, like the difference
between "finished" and "terminated", for example.

--
Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)

Post a reply to this message