POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Just wondering... : Re: Just wondering... Server Time
30 Sep 2024 17:23:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Just wondering...
From: andrel
Date: 17 Oct 2008 15:11:37
Message: <48F8E3B9.2000502@hotmail.com>
On 17-Oct-08 8:37, scott wrote:
>>> Florian has already fixed that one for me. ;-)
>>
>> Sort of, you know how he pronounces it, but does he know how you do?
>
> Exactly.  No matter how exactly I think I am copying how my gf
> pronounces a word, she still tells me it's not correct,

Yes, it is in the length of the vowels, the exact positioning of the
consonants in the mouth and the use of pauses and inflections that matters.

> and she says it
> sounds like I'm from Holland (as a lot of English trying to speak German
> do, apparently).

It is also hard to distinguish between a Dutch and a German who try to
speak English (at least for me). That leaves one combination: The
English and the German trying to speak Dutch. Not common of course, but
I can tell them apart easily. What does this tell us? That the
Netherlands is in between England and Germany? Stop the press, we just
did an amazing discovery... ;)

> Funnily enough, she says when I speak Bavarian she
> can't tell me apart from a native!

I guess she simply likes natives.