POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : On reflection Server Time
1 Oct 2024 00:04:11 EDT (-0400)
  On reflection (Message 26 to 35 of 45)
From: stbenge
Subject: Re: On reflection
Date: 15 Aug 2008 16:33:31
Message: <48a5e81b@news.povray.org>
Stephen wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 12:26:52 -0700, stbenge
> <THI### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
>
>> Stephen wrote:

>>> If we are lucky ;)
>> Luck is an open-ended concept...
>>

> Ooo! deep! ;)

Hey, makin' fun of me? ;)

Sam

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 15 Aug 2008 16:40:59
Message: <c8qba452l79vnpog86fp52pedoikmpv14e@4ax.com>
On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 20:08:29 +0100, Orchid XP v8 <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:

>OK, two things.
>
>1. Even having an actual gun in your pocket won't help you if you're
>outnumbered. I don't think this would make me feel any safer.

Misunderstanding due to a common misconception.
I did not mean to imply that knowing how to fight would make you safer. But
studying aikido or judo would improve your confidence, over time. For instance
carrying a gun or a knife actually makes you more likely to get injured,
probably due to a sense of over confidence. Knowing your true abilities and
limits makes you a rounder person.

>2. I'd be far too shy to even attempt to do something like this. I'd be
>too afraid of making an idiot of myself in front of everybody else.

That is a problem but sometimes you have to do things that you don't want to do.
Anyway its fun after you get over the initial embarrassment. Well I thought so.

>(As one of my sister's many boyfriends once explained, his Jui Jitsu
>instructor once explained to the class "if a bunch of guys start picking
>on you in the street, *run away*! Don't try to do Jui Jitsu on them. It
>won't work.")

Sensible, lots of people believe the movies and that can be dangerous. If you
know that you can then you don't need to prove anything.
--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 13:33:30 -0700, stbenge
<THI### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:

>Stephen wrote:
>> On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 12:26:52 -0700, stbenge
>> <THI### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:

>>> Luck is an open-ended concept...
>>>

>> Ooo! deep! ;)
>
>Hey, makin' fun of me? ;)