POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The decline of mindpower Server Time
1 Oct 2024 09:24:50 EDT (-0400)
  The decline of mindpower (Message 99 to 108 of 138)
From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: The decline of mindpower
Date: 6 Jul 2008 14:09:20
Message: <48710a50$1@news.povray.org>
On Sun, 06 Jul 2008 09:05:43 +0100, Stephen wrote:

>>> "Have you considered the possibility," I countered, "that I simply
>>> assumed that you were another drunken, disheveled, ignorant bum? This
>>> city is full of them, you know."
>>
>>LOL, but I don't think I'm disheveled.  Or drunk, for that matter - I
>>can still type.  When I'm drunk, I can't type.
>>
>>That said, there's rum in the freezer; it should probably come out.
>>
> I googled the phrase and the first hit was a short story, that is a line
> from it :)
> When I'm drunk I can delete someone's bug report by mistake instead of
> replying :oops:

:-)

The answer I was always told was "because there are no bones in ice
cream".

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Eero Ahonen
Date: 6 Jul 2008 16:09:19
Message: <4871266f$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:

>>   And do you even know how much gasoline/diesel costs here? An American
>> would drop his jaw into the ground if he saw it. Translated to the US
>> units, gasoline is about 9.5 dollars/gallon, and diesel is 8.3.
>
> But you have good public transit, yes?  When I've been on vacation in
> Europe for weeks at a time, I never rent a car.  In the USA, it's really
> difficult to live most places without a car, except maybe in the middle
> of a big city.

Yes, on few of the "big" cities (Finnish cities are nowhere to claim to
be big - none of them has even near of million citizens, but in Finnish
scale they (100+k citizens) are big). You can manage well with public
transportation on a vacation, but try to work and live a bit off from
the major courses. My trip to work every morning would take something
like 9 hours(!), because there is no bus line from my place to the
motorway (one could assume I'd walk that 7km - with laptop, possibly
other hardware etc...).

>>   Not only that, you have to pay mandatory annual car insurance (good
>> thing, I suppose) as well as a mandatory annual car tax (you receive
>> nothing in return, it's a *pure* tax for simply *owning* a car, without
>> any benefits).
>
> Same here. Well, I mean, the taxes go towards upkeep of the roads and
> such, but it's not like you directly see the money come back to your
> pocket. California car taxes are exceptionally high because we're so
> "progressive" here. :-)

I don't remember the exact numbers, but in Finland the country collects
much more taxes from the traffic than returns there.

> Oh, and we have "gift tax."  Someone gives you a million dollars as a
> present? Please give half to the government, thanks.

So do we, after some limit (gifts between 0-limit are taxless), but I
can't remember how much it is.

> And your government doesn't seem to treat citizens like the enemy, as
> well. :-)

At least as long as you agree with them.

--
Eero "Aero" Ahonen
    http://www.zbxt.net

Post a reply to this message