POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I WAS RIGHT!! Server Time
30 Sep 2024 19:26:11 EDT (-0400)
  I WAS RIGHT!! (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: Invisible
Subject: I WAS RIGHT!!
Date: 4 Jul 2008 04:43:54
Message: <486de2ca@news.povray.org>
I TOLD YOU THIS WOULD HAPPEN!

The imprisoned tree in Milton Keynes shopping center... is dying. And
four different sets of tree experts can't work out why. It was the
headline article in yesterday's local newspaper.

(However, I have now spent over an hour trying to find the article
online, with no success at all. So expert is their website. And
obviously Google won't have even had time to index the page yet...)

This is exactly what I said, is it not? :-P

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

> The imprisoned tree in Milton Keynes shopping center... is dying. And
> four different sets of tree experts can't work out why. It was the
> headline article in yesterday's local newspaper.

> (However, I have now spent over an hour trying to find the article
> online, with no success at all. So expert is their website. And
> obviously Google won't have even had time to index the page yet...)

> This is exactly what I said, is it not? :-P

  I guess you might have been right, but for the wrong reasons. You
estimated that the tree would die because of lack of sunlight. If four
different experts don't agree with that, I'll suppose it's not the reason.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

>   I guess you might have been right, but for the wrong reasons.

...OK, so I'm *half* right! :-D

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

>   I guess you might have been right, but for the wrong reasons. You
> estimated that the tree would die because of lack of sunlight. If four
> different experts don't agree with that, I'll suppose it's not the reason.

"What do we do with this tree?"

"Stick it where the sun doesn't shine."

Regards,
John

Post a reply to this message

> The imprisoned tree in Milton Keynes shopping center... is dying. And
> four different sets of tree experts can't work out why. It was the
> headline article in yesterday's local newspaper.

I would suspect that there is something in the groundwater, either
something directly harmful to the tree (weedkiller) or something bad for
the fungus that all tree roots rely on.  If the water tests okay then
possibly the ground around the tree is getting compacted so that the
roots can't get enough oxygen or water.

Regards,
John

Post a reply to this message

> I would suspect that there is something in the groundwater, either
> something directly harmful to the tree (weedkiller) or something bad for
> the fungus that all tree roots rely on.  If the water tests okay then
> possibly the ground around the tree is getting compacted so that the
> roots can't get enough oxygen or water.

...or maybe it's the fact that, you know, 80% of the tree's rootsystem
is under concrete now and doesn't receive any water. ;-)

Or maybe it's the fact that the sun only shines directly on the tree's
leaves at noon. (I don't know how much sun oaks require.)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

>> I would suspect that there is something in the groundwater, either
>> something directly harmful to the tree (weedkiller) or something bad
>> for the fungus that all tree roots rely on.  If the water tests okay
>> then possibly the ground around the tree is getting compacted so that
>> the roots can't get enough oxygen or water.
>
> ...or maybe it's the fact that, you know, 80% of the tree's rootsystem
> is under concrete now and doesn't receive any water. ;-)

The fact that the surface is covered by concrete by no means prevents
the roots underneath from receiving water.  Groundwater will move from
underneath open areas where rain falls to underneath paved areas where
the rain does not touch.  The water table can and usually does remain
underneath paved areas, and as long as the tree's tap root can reach the
water, all is fine on that score.

> Or maybe it's the fact that the sun only shines directly on the tree's
> leaves at noon. (I don't know how much sun oaks require.)

Oak is shade-tolerant during its early stages (they're growing quite
well in the pine grove my father-in-law planted twenty years ago), and a
mature oak in a forest often receives sunlight only from directly overhead.

Regards,
John