POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Do trials by jury make sense? Server Time
1 Oct 2024 11:26:06 EDT (-0400)
  Do trials by jury make sense? (Message 68 to 77 of 87)
From: Gilles Tran
Subject: Re: Do trials by jury make sense?
Date: 29 Apr 2008 07:37:40
Message: <48170884@news.povray.org>

4816d039@news.povray.org...
> That's not very absurd at all, unless the elections were really close,
> asking 12 totally random people would probably give the same result as
> asking the whole population.  Raise that number to just 30 or 50 people
> and you'd almost certainly get the same result every time.  If you're good
> at stats you can work out the figures.

Actually no. A sample of 12 people is completely useless for surveying a
large population (>1000). Typically, for a national population, a minimum
size is 1000 (confidence interval of 3 and confidence level of 95%), so that
you're 95% sure that the actual result lies between x-3 and x+3 where x is
your survey result.  That's already a large interval (47-53 for a close
election) and you'll need more for a smaller confidence interval (2500 for a
CI of 2). And that's assuming that your sample is truly random and not
biaised in some way, which is the big problem here since people aren't lab
rats.
A sample of 12 would give an confidence interval of 30, i.e. the true answer
will be between x-30 and x+30. Not very useful... Of course this never
prevented people from deriving large trends from what their 12-people-large
circle of acquaintances, including themselves + mom and dad, think or do ;)
Not that rounding up 1000 people for a single jury duty would be much
practical, and the 12-people jury thing isn't meant to be a survey anyway.

G.

Post a reply to this message