POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Speed comparison between C# and C++ Server Time
1 Oct 2024 11:30:01 EDT (-0400)
  Speed comparison between C# and C++ (Message 11 to 20 of 20)
From: Warp
Subject: Re: Speed comparison between C# and C++
Date: 17 Apr 2008 13:39:38
Message: <48078b5a@news.povray.org>
> Warp wrote:
> >   It's certainly not a good idea to create, resize and destroy 6 vectors
> > at each iteration.

> And in a well-tuned GC system, that's less of a problem, see? :-)

  You and your obsession. It has nothing to do with GC. I has to do with
memory allocation strategies and optimization. There's nothing inherently
inefficient in non-GC'd allocation nor anything inherently efficient in
GC'd allocation. We are talking about *allocation* here, not deallocation.
There's basically no difference between GC'd and non-GC'd allocation.

  A non-GC'd regular C++ allocator can be made extremely fast (there are
many practical demonstrations of this). For some reason, however, most
compilers prefer the space-optimal allocation scheme to the speed-optimal
one.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message