POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Ooo, external organs Server Time
1 Oct 2024 13:21:18 EDT (-0400)
  Ooo, external organs (Message 21 to 30 of 32)
<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 2 Messages >>>
From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: Ooo, external organs
Date: 10 Apr 2008 20:39:01
Message: <47feb325$1@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 09:16:36 +0100, Invisible wrote:

>> Don't look for your dictionary :-)
>> these are French and German names
>
> Damn. And I thought all musical terms were Italian...

Musical terms are (in general), but musical instruments aren't.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: M a r c
Date: 11 Apr 2008 03:34:51
Message: <47ff149b$1@news.povray.org>

47feb313$1@news.povray.org...

> I saw that a bit later, actually they did seem very dissimilar from the
> Gaelic I had seen before, clearly the sample was too small for an
> automated language identification to be made. :-)
>
> Jim
I'm interested in what made you think of Gaelic
The closest connection between Gaelic and organs I can see is the Irish
uilleann pipes with its bellow, drones and regulators.

Marc

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 11 Apr 2008 03:49:33
Message: <5t5uv3ttvlfudqehdrvrbr79bo1t10qsut@4ax.com>
On Fri, 11 Apr 2008 09:28:52 +0200, "M_a_r_c"
<jac### [at] wanadoofr> wrote:

>The closest connection between Gaelic and organs I can see is the Irish
>uilleann pipes with its bellow, drones and regulators.

Don't forget the Northumbrian Smallpipes :)
--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: M a r c
Date: 11 Apr 2008 04:26:05
Message: <47ff209d$1@news.povray.org>

5t5uv3ttvlfudqehdrvrbr79bo1t10qsut@4ax.com...
> On Fri, 11 Apr 2008 09:28:52 +0200, "M_a_r_c"
> <jac### [at] wanadoofr> wrote:
>
>>The closest connection between Gaelic and organs I can see is the Irish
>>uilleann pipes with its bellow, drones and regulators.
>
> Don't forget the Northumbrian Smallpipes :)
> --
I didn't!
I played with a friend that plays Smallpipes among other wind
instruments.(maybe I have evidence of that somewere)
But playing Uilleann pipes with its bellow, bag, opening or closing end of
chanter, regulators and drones-stop is like struggling with giant squid in
20000 leagues under the sea  ;-)

Marc

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 11 Apr 2008 04:37:29
Message: <gm8uv39f6sjdkhsq7c0g0v7nb2ct0jusg2@4ax.com>
On Fri, 11 Apr 2008 10:21:05 +0200, "M_a_r_c"
<jac### [at] wanadoofr> wrote:

>But playing Uilleann pipes with its bellow, bag, opening or closing end of
>chanter, regulators and drones-stop is like struggling with giant squid in
>20000 leagues under the sea  ;-)

LOL. That reminds me of the Shetland fiddler who plays and dances at
the same time. (An old tradition up there :) I heard her on the radio
a couple of years ago. Yup! Playing and dancing at the same time on
the radio :)
--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 11 Apr 2008 12:31:05
Message: <47ff9249@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 11 Apr 2008 09:28:52 +0200, M_a_r_c wrote:

> "Jim Henderson" <nos### [at] nospamcom> a écrit dans le message de news:
> 47feb313$1@news.povray.org...
>>>
>> I saw that a bit later, actually they did seem very dissimilar from the
>> Gaelic I had seen before, clearly the sample was too small for an
>> automated language identification to be made. :-)
>>
>> Jim
> I'm interested in what made you think of Gaelic The closest connection
> between Gaelic and organs I can see is the Irish uilleann pipes with its
> bellow, drones and regulators.

I plugged the words into a language identification engine, and it
identified the words as being "briten" (I think was the result) - which
is derived from Gaelic and a few other languages.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: M a r c
Date: 11 Apr 2008 17:27:44
Message: <47ffd7d0@news.povray.org>

47ff9249@news.povray.org...
> I plugged the words into a language identification engine, and it
> identified the words as being "briten" (I think was the result) - which
> is derived from Gaelic and a few other languages.
>
> Jim

I think the language identification engine failed because there were 2 very
different languages : a Germanic one (German for "Scharff "*) and a Latin
one (French for "Fonds Quint(e)" and "Voix humaine" )

Marc

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 11 Apr 2008 17:32:42
Message: <47ffd8fa$1@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 11 Apr 2008 23:21:31 +0200, M_a_r_c wrote:

> "Jim Henderson" <nos### [at] nospamcom> a écrit dans le message de news:
> 47ff9249@news.povray.org...
>> I plugged the words into a language identification engine, and it
>> identified the words as being "briten" (I think was the result) - which
>> is derived from Gaelic and a few other languages.
>>
>> Jim
>
> I think the language identification engine failed because there were 2
> very different languages : a Germanic one (German for "Scharff "*) and a
> Latin one (French for "Fonds Quint(e)" and "Voix humaine" )

That's possible as well, though with just "Voix humaine" it identified
incorrectly - I think it probably is because the engine I used looks at
structures rather than words.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: M a r c
Date: 11 Apr 2008 17:46:54
Message: <47ffdc4e@news.povray.org>

47ffd8fa$1@news.povray.org...
> That's possible as well, though with just "Voix humaine" it identified
> incorrectly - I think it probably is because the engine I used looks at
> structures rather than words.
>
> Jim

I am not used to language identification engines but I think this one is a
bad one :
"Voix humaine" just stands for "human voice", typically latin roots language
("voce humana" in Italian).

Marc

Post a reply to this message

From: M a r c
Date: 11 Apr 2008 17:46:54
Message: <47ffdc4e$2@news.povray.org>

47ffd8fa$1@news.povray.org...
> I think it probably is because the engine I used looks at
> structures rather than words.

I think a good expert system should have more than one look on a problem :-)

Marc

Post a reply to this message

<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 2 Messages >>>