POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A practical matter Server Time
1 Oct 2024 13:16:18 EDT (-0400)
  A practical matter (Message 17 to 26 of 26)
From: scott
Subject: Re: A practical matter
Date: 4 Apr 2008 04:03:49
Message: <47f5eef5@news.povray.org>
> Actually, I was thinking, if I burry it in, say, 5 Kg or thermite and
> light the sucker... in a few moments' time the entire chasis should be a
> pool of molten steel.

From Wikipedia:

"Additionally, thermite grenades are used by friendly forces to destroy
their own items and equipment when there is imminent danger of capture"

:-)

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Date: 4 Apr 2008 04:13:33
Message: <47f5f13d$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:

>> On the other hand... where would I buy thermite from?
>
> Why, you just make it yourself.  Isn't that the stuff where you get a
> load of aluminium filings and rust and then light it?  YOu need a strip
> of magnesium to light it though IIRC from school.

Well, I *do* have a large canister of laboritory-grade aluminium
powder... but how to get finely powdered rust? (The finer the powder,
the better it burns.) Not to mention magnesium ribbon - I used up my
last strip, oh, 12 years ago. :-(

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

> Well, I *do* have a large canister of laboritory-grade aluminium powder...
> but how to get finely powdered rust? (The finer the powder, the better it
> burns.)

Errm, a google for "iron oxide powder" brought up these guys on the first
page:

http://www.supervacmaterials.co.uk/showcompound.asp?symbol=I4

> Not to mention magnesium ribbon - I used up my last strip, oh, 12 years
> ago. :-(

Looks like those guys above have some magnesium too.

Post a reply to this message