POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Why is the music industry so privileged? Server Time
1 Oct 2024 18:27:32 EDT (-0400)
  Why is the music industry so privileged? (Message 5 to 14 of 34)
<<< Previous 4 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 10 Messages >>>
From: Mike Raiford
Subject: Re: Why is the music industry so privileged?
Date: 1 Apr 2008 07:09:44
Message: <47f22608$1@news.povray.org>
John VanSickle wrote:

>>   My question is why. Why is the music industry specifically so
>> privileged?
>
> Because they have friends in the legislature.

I was going to say they have rich lobbyists.

Post a reply to this message

From: Gilles Tran
Date: 1 Apr 2008 07:22:05
Message: <47f228ed$1@news.povray.org>

47f22236@news.povray.org...
>  The music industry has more people in government positions than the
> software industry? Maybe the music industry is more organized and thus
> they have succeeded in doing this better than the more disorganized
> software industry has been able to?

I think it's simply that authors' societies and other rights collection
societies have been around for decades or even centuries (the French one was
created in 1850). Music
has been in the spotlight for a long time and public, harsh debates about
music rights and rights collection go back into the 19th century (and into
the 18th century if one considers author's rights in general).

OTOH software started post-WWII as an obscure, marginal industry that only
became mainstream in the late 1980s so property rights issues concerning
software didn't emerge until very recently. Possibly the problems weren't
noticeable until the late 1990s, when the web became popular or even the
early 2000s with broadband access.

G.

--
http://www.oyonale.com