POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Why is the music industry so privileged? Server Time
1 Oct 2024 13:17:54 EDT (-0400)
  Why is the music industry so privileged? (Message 25 to 34 of 34)
From: Eero Ahonen
Subject: Re: Why is the music industry so privileged?
Date: 2 Apr 2008 10:56:50
Message: <47f3acc2$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:

>   The new copyright law forbids copying music from illegal sources.
> The vast majority of internet sources are defined as illegal, so you
> basically can't download music legally (except from legal online shops).

A lot of people say that it says so. So far I hadn't found any mention
about that, nor anyone has been able to point it out for me. But I think
I found it now:

Even this actually points out that there *can't* be any payment for the
copier to do, *expect* if (s)he knows or should know that the source is
illegal. Yes, everyone should know that most of the music at p2p
networks is illegal - in case they actually are considered as "teos"
(which pretty much means it's original, ie. something new) - but if a
download web page seems legal and one ain't an expert, can (s)he
actually know that the source is illegal?

Nasty, I'd say. But the practice will (unfortunately) show us that lack
of knowledge is - once again - not an excuse.

And still the copyright law allows you to ie. loan a CD from a library
and copy it. By using the right software from the beginning you won't
even notice any copy protections, so they can't be technically
effective. Ah, and radio recording also, is legal by these payments
(yes, the quality is a different thing here...).

>   (OTOH eavesdropping internet traffic is still illegal, so how they are
> going to enforce the copyright law is anybody's guess. I think a police
> officer commented on the new copyright law that a law doesn't make sense
> when it's impossible to enforce it.)

Remember Finreactor? If names get gathered in same kinds of cases, they
may have a chance to find enough proofs to nail people. It think it
would be illegal for me to write here that one should make sure he won't
register to any pirate source (at least with real addresses etc), so I
won't write it here. You'll just need to come up with your own ideas,
but I'm sure it's not a problem, since POV'ers tend to be thinking and
problem-solving people.

>   The same law also says that it is legal to circumvent the protections
> if it's necessary to listen to the music in the first place.

Yep :).

>   The new copyright is really messed up. Nobody understands it fully.

I think so too. I think that not even Tanja
Karpela/Saarela/Vienonen/whattheheckwillhersurnamebetomorrow understand
it fully, even though she's pretty much behind it.

--
Eero "Aero" Ahonen
    http://www.zbxt.net

Post a reply to this message