POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : simple image recognition Server Time
1 Oct 2024 11:28:37 EDT (-0400)
  simple image recognition (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: Rafał Maj
Subject: simple image recognition
Date: 30 Mar 2008 22:33:35
Message: <47f05b8e@news.povray.org>
Hello,

I may be writting a program that will do some sort of image recognition - or
rather image analysis.

Goal - to make "magic wand" fill like tool. Like the one in GIMP, but much
smarter.

If You take a room like http://limcore.com/misc/wand/ room1 or 3

Then, when you select few points on the wall, and few points inside unwanted
objects, then entire wall should be nicely selected by the program.

Obviously, simple "match same RGB/HSV color" is not enough here.

The match should be accurate, and using around 3..4 points "good", and just
few to mark unwanted objects must be enough to get right selection.

Images will be bigger, like 1000x1000 pixel (typical photo) and ok quality.

Quality: in room3, even if the border of photos would have the color of
wall, program should not select them. A bit of user help there may be
needed (but just showing few points, not doing it all by hand instead of
program)

So... what is interesting about it?

1) cool task \o/

2) would You take such task, and if so, then
  a) how much would it take You to write such program probably (the
    algorithms + simple GUI to test)
  b) how much money would You want for it

3) any ideas how to implement this?

I have some interesting ideas, assuming photos will be usuall
architecture-like, then algorithms to
* detect smooth light and extend selection
* detect smooth shadows
* detect lighting changees (i.e. the window light-shadow on floor of room1)
* detect a pattern (bricks in room3) and do NOT extend if the color is same
but patter changed (i.e. if the border of the photo would be exact same
color as wall, but smooth)

Post a reply to this message