POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : simple image recognition : Re: simple image recognition Server Time
1 Oct 2024 09:25:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: simple image recognition
From: scott
Date: 31 Mar 2008 01:56:04
Message: <47f08b04$1@news.povray.org>
> 2) would You take such task, and if so, then
>  a) how much would it take You to write such program probably (the
>    algorithms + simple GUI to test)

My friend took around 6 months full time to do his project, but he was a
student, so let's say 3 months in the real world ;-)

>  b) how much money would You want for it

I would expect a maximum of around 6000 GBP.  Much more than that and you
could pay a CS graduate student to do it for you.

> 3) any ideas how to implement this?

> * detect smooth light and extend selection
> * detect smooth shadows
> * detect lighting changees (i.e. the window light-shadow on floor of
> room1)
> * detect a pattern (bricks in room3) and do NOT extend if the color is
> same

I would first run an algorithm to classify the image into different parts,
like "floor", "wall", "bed", "door" etc.  There are already algorithms to do
this (actually a friend of mine did this for his final year project at
university).  Then using the input points from the user you can decide which
parts to colour.

To actually classify different parts of the image, the maths is fairly
hardcore.  I'm sure you can find lots of material online about it, I would
say it's best to convert your image to HSV and then write some pattern
matching algorithm to give each pixel a unique "group number" value.  You
might want to look at fourier and wavelet transofrms to help with the
pattern matching.