POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Yet another Doctor John rant Server Time
1 Oct 2024 15:19:30 EDT (-0400)
  Yet another Doctor John rant (Message 21 to 30 of 143)
From: Doctor John
Subject: Re: Yet another Doctor John rant
Date: 31 Mar 2008 09:52:13
Message: <47f0fa9d$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:

> I'd use Linux too if I could. But it's just too difficult.
This from the man who's writing his own logic prog lang

> the software I want to use doesn't exist for Linux. And that is why most
> people end up being stuck with Windoze; it's where all the software is.

Yup, have to admit I do have XP on a couple of machines purely for
Flight Sims, a couple of games and Daz3d, Bryce and Hexagon.

John

finished," then he sat down.

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Date: 31 Mar 2008 09:59:06
Message: <47f0fc3a$1@news.povray.org>
>> I'd use Linux too if I could. But it's just too difficult.

> This from the man who's writing his own logic prog lang

Hey, do *you* know how to make Linux recognise the fact that I just
plugged in a USB sound card and that sound should be routed through that
instead?

Similarly, do you know how to edit /etc/X11/Xconfig because you just
changed your video card and now X11 crashes on startup?

[The nice thing about SuSE's configuration program is that it will works
even if X11 isn't running...]

>> the software I want to use doesn't exist for Linux. And that is why most
>> people end up being stuck with Windoze; it's where all the software is.
>>
> Yup, have to admit I do have XP on a couple of machines purely for
> Flight Sims, a couple of games and Daz3d, Bryce and Hexagon.

This is also what really keeps me from trying a Mac. I'd basically have
to throw all my software away - and what's the point of that?

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: Doctor John
Date: 31 Mar 2008 10:24:28
Message: <47f1022c$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
>>> I'd use Linux too if I could. But it's just too difficult.
>
>> This from the man who's writing his own logic prog lang
>
> Hey, do *you* know how to make Linux recognise the fact that I just
> plugged in a USB sound card and that sound should be routed through that
> instead?

Never tried 'cos I've never needed to

> Similarly, do you know how to edit /etc/X11/Xconfig because you just
> changed your video card and now X11 crashes on startup?

<irony> Back when Queen Victoria was a lad</irony> that is the way we
all did it. If I've made any hardware changes I invariably boot into
runlevel 3 then startx; if all looks good fine else fire up vi and away
we go.

> [The nice thing about SuSE's configuration program is that it will works
> even if X11 isn't running...]

Haven't used a distro's config for a few years now. Call me a dinosaur
but at least if anything goes wrong I know what I did so I can reverse it.

John

finished," then he sat down.

Post a reply to this message

From: Nicolas Alvarez
Date: 31 Mar 2008 10:24:59
Message: <47f1024b@news.povray.org>

> I thought that was especially amusing, given that at that exact moment
> both of us were playing CSS - a game which exists only on the Windoze
> platform...

Wine AppDB lists "Counter-Strike: Source Retail / Steam" in the top-10
platinum list ("Applications which install and run flawlessly on an
out-of-the-box Wine installation").

Post a reply to this message

From: Nicolas Alvarez
Date: 31 Mar 2008 10:29:44
Message: <47f10368$1@news.povray.org>

> The newer Word format is supposedly more open. It's an XML-based format,
> IIRC. I dunno what sort of proprietary stuff they've crammed into it,
> though.

It's a direct dump of the binary format internal structure into XML.
When you see a tag called <useWord97LineBreaks>, what should your
implementation do?

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Date: 31 Mar 2008 10:39:41
Message: <47f105bd@news.povray.org>
> Wine AppDB lists "Counter-Strike: Source Retail / Steam" in the top-10
> platinum list ("Applications which install and run flawlessly on an
> out-of-the-box Wine installation").

*one raised eyebrow*

You're telling me a game making intense use of 3D hardware [not to
mention CPU-intensive physics simulations] will actually work under
software emulation?

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: Invisible
Date: 31 Mar 2008 10:40:42
Message: <47f105fa@news.povray.org>
>> Similarly, do you know how to edit /etc/X11/Xconfig because you just
>> changed your video card and now X11 crashes on startup?
>>
> <irony> Back when Queen Victoria was a lad</irony> that is the way we
> all did it. If I've made any hardware changes I invariably boot into
> runlevel 3 then startx; if all looks good fine else fire up vi and away
> we go.

> Haven't used a distro's config for a few years now. Call me a dinosaur
> but at least if anything goes wrong I know what I did so I can reverse it.

Well, there are advantages to that too - but it does require you to be a
complete expert in exactly how everything on the entire machine works in
order to configure anything.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: scott
Date: 31 Mar 2008 10:44:57
Message: <47f106f9$1@news.povray.org>
>> And yet, I run Vista (Home Premium, even!) on a rather moderate machine.
>> 2.6 P4, 200GB harddrive, and 2.5G ram. It runs rather smoothly, actually.
>> I didn't notice any considerable performance drop from WinXP to Vista.
>
> In which universe is a machine with a 200 GB HD and more than 1 GB of RAM
> considered "moderate"? That sounds pretty high-end to me...

Well not your universe obvously ;-)  In our universe on dell.co.uk you can
get a core2duo 2.3 GHz with a 20" LCD, 2GB RAM and 320 GB HD for 529 GBP
total.  And as you keep telling us, Dell's prices are 73x more than
everywhere else, so I think that is a pretty moderate spec to me :-)

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Date: 31 Mar 2008 10:57:25
Message: <47f109e5@news.povray.org>
>> In which universe is a machine with a 200 GB HD and more than 1 GB of
>> RAM considered "moderate"? That sounds pretty high-end to me...
>
> Well not your universe obvously ;-)  In our universe on dell.co.uk you
> can get a core2duo 2.3 GHz with a 20" LCD, 2GB RAM and 320 GB HD for 529
> GBP total.  And as you keep telling us, Dell's prices are 73x more than
> everywhere else, so I think that is a pretty moderate spec to me :-)

Damn. In my universe, anything that says Core 2 Duo on it is likely to
cost several hundred pounds by itself... :-(

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: Warp
Date: 31 Mar 2008 11:02:10
Message: <47f10b01@news.povray.org>
Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:
> Damn. In my universe, anything that says Core 2 Duo on it is likely to
> cost several hundred pounds by itself... :-(

  You mean like in weight?

--
                                                          - Warp