POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Yet another Doctor John rant : Re: Yet another Doctor John rant Server Time
1 Oct 2024 18:30:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Yet another Doctor John rant
From: Doctor John
Date: 31 Mar 2008 10:24:28
Message: <47f1022c$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
>>> I'd use Linux too if I could. But it's just too difficult.
>
>> This from the man who's writing his own logic prog lang
>
> Hey, do *you* know how to make Linux recognise the fact that I just
> plugged in a USB sound card and that sound should be routed through that
> instead?

Never tried 'cos I've never needed to

> Similarly, do you know how to edit /etc/X11/Xconfig because you just
> changed your video card and now X11 crashes on startup?

<irony> Back when Queen Victoria was a lad</irony> that is the way we
all did it. If I've made any hardware changes I invariably boot into
runlevel 3 then startx; if all looks good fine else fire up vi and away
we go.

> [The nice thing about SuSE's configuration program is that it will works
> even if X11 isn't running...]

Haven't used a distro's config for a few years now. Call me a dinosaur
but at least if anything goes wrong I know what I did so I can reverse it.

John

finished," then he sat down.