POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Logic programming Server Time
1 Oct 2024 13:21:28 EDT (-0400)
  Logic programming (Message 11 to 20 of 68)
From: Nicolas Alvarez
Subject: Re: Logic programming
Date: 26 Mar 2008 17:35:12
Message: <47eacfa0$1@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson escribió:
> On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 16:48:26 -0500, Warp wrote:
>> Orchid XP v7 <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:
>>> I spent several hours implementing a piece of technology
>>   It sounded to me like you reinvented prolog...
>
> Sometimes, reimplementing something is the best way to learn - even if
> you didn't know it existed before.

Yeah, like how VirtualDub author wrote a PNG encoder *and* a deflate
compressor instead of using libpng and zlib just to learn about it.

"It was quite an educational experience to write a fast sliding window
compressor."

Oh, and to cut on library dependencies too :)

Post a reply to this message

On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 19:35:03 -0300, Nicolas Alvarez wrote:

> Jim Henderson escribió:
>>>   It sounded to me like you reinvented prolog...
>>
>> Sometimes, reimplementing something is the best way to learn - even if
>> you didn't know it existed before.
>
> Yeah, like how VirtualDub author wrote a PNG encoder *and* a deflate
> compressor instead of using libpng and zlib just to learn about it.

Yup. :-)

> "It was quite an educational experience to write a fast sliding window
> compressor."

That sort of thing usually is.  Especially if implemented from scratch.

> Oh, and to cut on library dependencies too :)

That'd be another benefit. :-)

Jim

Post a reply to this message