POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.object-collection : categorising objects Server Time
5 Mar 2024 04:56:19 EST (-0500)
  categorising objects (Message 1 to 10 of 24)  
Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 10 Messages >>>
From: jr
Subject: categorising objects
Date: 14 Mar 2023 05:45:00
Message: <web.641040237f95c2ec4301edef6cde94f1@news.povray.org>
hi,

submissions to the Object Collection must be categorised, selecting one or more
applicable categories from a list.  the current list, imo, needs improving.  to
that end I've listed the existing below, the level of indentation corresponding
to 'Level' in the hierarchy.  asking all interested parties to discuss, and
propose additional entries.  thanks in advance.  nb adding a fourth level would
be ok and work with the existing code, as would partially re-ordering the below
(if needed).


Areas of Interest
    Abstract Forms
    Buildings
    Household/Office Objects
        Computers
    Games
        Ball Games
        Board Games
        Puzzles
        Video Games
    Landscapes
        Urban Landscapes
    Organic Forms
    Space
    Sports
    Vehicles
Contribution Types
    Objects
        Solid (CSG-able)
        Non-solid (Non-CSG-able)
    Textures
        Pigments
        Finishes
        Normals
    Interiors
        Media
    Macros
    Functions
        Isosurface
        Positioning
        Other


regards, jr.


Post a reply to this message

From: yesbird
Subject: Re: categorising objects
Date: 14 Mar 2023 07:41:34
Message: <e0a10523-1500-57f2-b3ab-a8c87a9dd044@gmail.com>
On 14/03/2023 12:40, jr wrote:
Hi,
I would include some additional categories, for better detalization:
//---------------------------------------------------------------------
> 
> Areas of Interest
>      Abstract Forms
>      Buildings
>      Household/Office Objects
>          Computers
>      Games
>          Ball Games
>          Board Games
>          Puzzles
>          Video Games
>      Landscapes
>          Urban Landscapes
            Nature Landscapes
                Mountains
                Forests
                Desert
                ...
>      Organic Forms
            Flora
                Trees
                Flowers
                Grass
                ...
            Fauna
                Animals
                Birds
                Insects
                ...
        Technics
            Constructions
            Fasteners
            Aerospace
            Vehicles
            ...
>      Space
>      Sports
> Contribution Types
>      Objects
>          Solid (CSG-able)
>          Non-solid (Non-CSG-able)
>      Textures
>          Pigments
>          Finishes
>          Normals
>      Interiors
>          Media
>      Macros
>      Functions
>          Isosurface
>          Positioning
>          Other
//---------------------------------------------------------------------
--
YB


Post a reply to this message

From: Kenneth
Subject: Re: categorising objects
Date: 15 Mar 2023 09:35:00
Message: <web.6411c89beebe96f39b4924336e066e29@news.povray.org>
I would add a 'Miscellaneous' category. I can foresee some contributions that
might not fall under any specific heading-- although I can't think of an example
off-hand.
>
> Areas of Interest
>...
>     Games
>         Ball Games
>         Board Games
>         Puzzles
>         Video Games

This might be an example of a too-detailed list. I would think that just 'Games'
would do.

>     Landscapes
>         Urban Landscapes

Same here. 'Landscapes' by itself might be inclusive enough. There are probably
LOTS of different types of landscapes that contributors could come up with--
mountains, forests, planetary surfaces, etc etc-- which might make a detailed
sub-listing endlessly long and too 'granular'.


Post a reply to this message

From: jr
Subject: Re: categorising objects
Date: 20 Mar 2023 16:20:00
Message: <web.6418bed4eebe96f34301edef6cde94f1@news.povray.org>
hi,

am somewhat disappointed, no one (bar two honourable exceptions) interested much
in improving the OC ?!  tja..  there's some time still, so help will be welcome
(and needed, as "decisively classifying" things isn't one of my strengths)


yesbird <sya### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> On 14/03/2023 12:40, jr wrote:
> Hi,
> I would include some additional categories, for better detalization:
> ...
> >      Landscapes
> >          Urban Landscapes
>             Nature Landscapes
>                 Mountains
>                 Forests
>                 Desert
>                 ...
> >      Organic Forms
>             Flora
>                 Trees
>                 Flowers
>                 Grass
>                 ...
>             Fauna
>                 Animals
>                 Birds
>                 Insects
>                 ...
>         Technics
>             Constructions
>             Fasteners
>             Aerospace
>             Vehicles
>             ...
> >      Space
> > ...

I'll take the 'natural landscapes', and like the 'flora/fauna' under organic
forms.  the "Technics" is a bit "all over" :-), but would like to see your
revised take on those/any categories.



"Kenneth" <kdw### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> I would add a 'Miscellaneous' category. I can foresee some contributions that
> might not fall under any specific heading-- although I can't think of an example
> off-hand.

personally, and by inclination, I'd agree.  just .. convenient.  but that also
is its downside, it would wind up an overused catch-all, I feel.


> >     Games
> >         Ball Games
> >         Board Games
> >         Puzzles
> >         Video Games
>
> This might be an example of a too-detailed list. I would think that just 'Games'
> would do.

not sure, feel puzzles ought not to be seen as "games", however, you probably
know that on submission you could select, say, just 'Games' and be done.


> ...
> mountains, forests, planetary surfaces, etc etc-- which might make a detailed
> sub-listing endlessly long and too 'granular'.

multiple categories can and should be selected, so "medium granularity" :-) at
least will be ok.  using YB's initial suggestion of flora + fauna as example, I
think that's probably "deep" enough in levels.  on the other hand, the
'Household/Office Objects' (which ought not have been "lumped together" in the
first place) does need stuff like 'Furniture' and quite a few others to make it
useful at all; as mentioned, up to four "levels", but getting the second + third
tier right will be the art.


regards, jr.


Post a reply to this message

From: William F Pokorny
Subject: Re: categorising objects
Date: 21 Mar 2023 03:38:13
Message: <64195ee5$1@news.povray.org>
On 3/20/23 16:15, jr wrote:
> am somewhat disappointed, no one (bar two honourable exceptions) interested much
> in improving the OC ?!  tja..  there's some time still, so help will be welcome
> (and needed, as "decisively classifying" things isn't one of my strengths)

Interested, just lots of other stuff to do too... (My qualifications as 
honorable are questionable too, as you know...)

Have you looked at the categories offered by some of the online 3D model 
/ material sites ?  For example: www.turbosquid.com

If not already suggested, I feel a strength of POV-Ray is the quick 
abstract image, the quick icon. These are not really objects I guess, 
but I find them interesting. Well, we could require they be framed! :-)
Maybe such a category would get noisy / swamped though...

Bill P.


Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: Re: categorising objects
Date: 21 Mar 2023 03:38:34
Message: <64195efa$1@news.povray.org>
Op 20/03/2023 om 21:15 schreef jr:
> hi,
> 
> am somewhat disappointed, no one (bar two honourable exceptions) interested much
> in improving the OC ?!  tja..  there's some time still, so help will be welcome
> (and needed, as "decisively classifying" things isn't one of my strengths)
> 
> 
To tell the truth, I have no idea what to answer. Except for very 
general categories, I would not go into too much details (at this moment 
in time and content of the Collection). If in future further 
subdivisions would become necessary, then would be the time to implement 
them.

-- 
Thomas


Post a reply to this message

From: yesbird
Subject: Re: categorising objects
Date: 21 Mar 2023 05:14:29
Message: <40434e82-9e3e-906c-a7c1-859524b00ae2@gmail.com>
On 21/03/2023 10:38, William F Pokorny wrote:
> Have you looked at the categories offered by some of the online 3D model 
> / material sites ?  For example: www.turbosquid.com

Indeed, or my favorite:
https://www.cgtrader.com
(attached)
--
YB


Post a reply to this message


Attachments:
Download 'categorias.png' (47 KB)

Preview of image 'categorias.png'
categorias.png


 

From: jr
Subject: Re: categorising objects
Date: 1 Apr 2023 06:30:00
Message: <web.6428068eeebe96f34301edef6cde94f1@news.povray.org>
hi,

an amended list of categories, for review.
Kenneth is right of course, there needs to be some type of "catch all" category.
rather than 'miscellaneous' I chose to use 'uncategorised'; the idea is that if
an author should feel none of the existing categories apply, they can use
'uncategorised' and send an email to admin, with the keyword(s) or phrase(s)
they wanted to see,
it will then be up to an administrator to decide on an action.

the 'organic forms' stuff is in part (I guess) a result of Mike Miller's
phosphorescent "buds" :-)

unsure of 'humanoid', in that group.  ought the OC have a 'person/character'
category at level '2', perhaps with further sub-categories ?

more feedback will be appreciated, I feel the 'household/office objects'
category (at least) needs .. something.


Areas of Interest
    Abstract Forms
    Buildings/Architecture
        Domestic
        Commercial
        Industrial
            Interior
            Exterior
    Household/Office Objects
        Computers
    Games
        Ball Games
        Board Games
        Puzzles
        Video Games
    Landscapes
        Urban Landscapes
        Natural Landscapes
        Alien/SF Landscapes
    Organic Forms
        Humanoid
        Terrestrial Flora
        Terrestrial Fauna
        Alien/SF Flora
        Alien/SF Fauna
    Space
        Terrestrial
        Alien/SF
    Sports
    Vehicles
        Aircraft
        Watercraft
        Rail
        Road
            Military
    Scale Model
Contribution Types
    Objects
        Solid (CSG-able)
        Non-solid (Non-CSG-able)
    Materials
    Textures
        Pigments
        Finishes
        Normals
    Interiors
        Media
    Macros
    Functions
        Isosurface
        Positioning
        Other
    Transforms
    Cameras
Uncategorised


regards, jr.


Post a reply to this message

From: yesbird
Subject: Re: categorising objects
Date: 1 Apr 2023 06:46:24
Message: <76a70904-3b6b-1249-8f99-729533ca56dc@gmail.com>
On 01/04/2023 13:25, jr wrote:
Hi,
I like this hierarchy, but only one question: what is a "Scale Model"
category ?
--
YB


Post a reply to this message

From: jr
Subject: Re: categorising objects
Date: 1 Apr 2023 07:05:00
Message: <web.64280ef3eebe96f34301edef6cde94f1@news.povray.org>
hi,

yesbird <sya### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> I like this hierarchy, but only one question: what is a "Scale Model"
> category ?

thanks (still room for improvement, though :-)).  I guess I'm thinking of
projects like 'Ton' does, eg.
<https://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/thread/%3Cweb.5d05f9ab6bc50fb5939601860%40news.povray.org%3E/>



regards, jr.


Post a reply to this message

Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 10 Messages >>>

Copyright 2003-2023 Persistence of Vision Raytracer Pty. Ltd.