POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.object-collection : New (Experimental) Index Page Server Time
16 Apr 2024 16:32:14 EDT (-0400)
  New (Experimental) Index Page (Message 16 to 25 of 25)
From: SharkD
Subject: Re: New (Experimental) Index Page
Date: 22 Jun 2008 03:50:00
Message: <web.485e035c133a8f91896db6a10@news.povray.org>
Also, you might want to consider adding the "optgroup" element to the category
form to keep people from adding to the super-categories when submitting
objects.

-Mike

Post a reply to this message

From: Chris B
Date: 22 Jun 2008 05:36:43
Message: <485e1d2b$1@news.povray.org>
"SharkD" <nomail@nomail> wrote in message
> Will it be possible in the future to add an object to both the Area of
> Interest
> and Content Type categories?

It should be possible now because it's a multi-select list. When you're
submitting an object you should be able to use Ctl-Click in the browser to
select multiple categories and sub-categories. Though the mechanism for
doing a multi-select may vary between browsers and operating systems.

> Also, will it be possible to modify an existing entry without having to
> fill out
> all the fields and upload files from scatch? Sometimes you just want to
> fix a
> typo, or update a file without changing its description.

This is a little more problematic. Certain functions of this sort can be
done by an administrator but it needs a bit of consistent judgement to make
sure that significant changes aren't made without changing the version
number, otherwise people wouldn't be able to tell that an object had changed
since they downloaded it.

So for changing typos within the description, keywords and possibly for
small changes to documentation files and other meta-data you can email an
admin or post a request here.

For changing files that fix problems with the object or change functionality
you should create a new version which means uploading a complete new copy.
There are times when it may make sense to make an exception to this. For
example, if you forget a file or fix a bug and you can get an administrator
to upload it for you before anyone's downloaded it, then I don't see a
problem with that.

Regards,
Chris B.

Post a reply to this message

"Chris B" <nom### [at] nomailcom> wrote:
> It should be possible now because it's a multi-select list. When you're
> submitting an object you should be able to use Ctl-Click in the browser to
> select multiple categories and sub-categories. Though the mechanism for
> doing a multi-select may vary between browsers and operating systems.

Thanks, I didn't notice that.

> This is a little more problematic. Certain functions of this sort can be
> done by an administrator but it needs a bit of consistent judgement to make
> sure that significant changes aren't made without changing the version
> number, otherwise people wouldn't be able to tell that an object had changed
> since they downloaded it.

Well, a step in this direction would be to only require a version number change
if any new files are uploaded. Of course, this would as a result be triggered
any time *any* file is uploaded, regardless if the actual code hase changed.
However, despite this quirk it would still be an improvement.

Thanks for your reply.

-Mike

Post a reply to this message