POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.object-collection : Contribution Drive? Server Time
8 Feb 2023 06:34:50 EST (-0500)
  Contribution Drive? (Message 1 to 10 of 12)  
Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 2 Messages >>>
From: Chambers
Subject: Contribution Drive?
Date: 19 Jan 2008 15:58:41
Message: <47926481$1@news.povray.org>
One of the problems I've noticed with object downloads is that, for 
simple objects, its often easier to make it myself using CSG while, for 
complex objects, the object doesn't quite fit my needs.

Really, what I would like are collections of themed objects, each of 
which is non-trivial (ie, it would take more than half an hour of coding 
to create), and with enough variety that I could find something in there 
to fit my needs.

Naturally, I have no time to create such collections.  I'm fairly 
certain that most people on this NG don't have the time to create a 
complete collection, either.

So, I would like to try an experiment: A group collaboration.  We'll 
pick a topic (probably something like "tables" or "chairs" or even 
"writing utensils"), and several people will each contribute one or two 
items to it.  The result will be published on the library site under a 
group credit.  If we like the results, we can continue to do such 
collections to help beef up our library.

But before I run off all gung-ho, is anyone else interested in trying 
this with me?

-- 
...Ben Chambers
www.pacificwebguy.com


Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Subject: Re: Contribution Drive?
Date: 19 Jan 2008 17:24:20
Message: <47927894@news.povray.org>
Chambers <ben### [at] pacificwebguycom> wrote:
> So, I would like to try an experiment: A group collaboration.  We'll 
> pick a topic (probably something like "tables" or "chairs" or even 
> "writing utensils"), and several people will each contribute one or two 
> items to it.

  IMO those objects should also be parametrized so that you can change
their geometry with identifiers (or macro parameters).

  For example, you might find a table model which is just perfect, except
that its legs are too tall. There should be an identifier you can declare
before the #include (or before calling the macro) which changes the length
of the legs.

  In the #include file this can be implemented eg. like this:

#ifndef SOMEID_TABLE_LEG_LENGTH
#declare SOMEID_TABLE_LEG_LENGTH = 5;
#end

or, alternatively:

#local SOMEID_TABLE_LEG_LENGTH = 5;
#ifdef SOMEID_TABLE_LEG_FACTOR
  #local SOMEID_TABLE_LEG_LENGTH =
    SOMEID_TABLE_LEG_LENGTH * SOMEID_TABLE_LEG_FACTOR;
#end


-- 
                                                          - Warp


Post a reply to this message

From: nemesis
Subject: Re: Contribution Drive?
Date: 19 Jan 2008 19:50:01
Message: <web.479299e84831bbf16035e8ba0@news.povray.org>
Chambers <ben### [at] pacificwebguycom> wrote:
> So, I would like to try an experiment: A group collaboration.  We'll
> pick a topic (probably something like "tables" or "chairs" or even
> "writing utensils"), and several people will each contribute one or two
> items to it.  The result will be published on the library site under a
> group credit.  If we like the results, we can continue to do such
> collections to help beef up our library.
>
> But before I run off all gung-ho, is anyone else interested in trying
> this with me?

this sounds a lot of fun!  A contest with no winners, really. It could
definitely boost the povray object collection.  I'm in!

To make it more interesting, how about adding the objects to a scene?  We begin
with a basic scene with no objects -- say, a restroom -- and people begin
adding chairs, tables, decorative stuff on tables put there by other users,
etc...


Post a reply to this message

From: Chambers
Subject: Re: Contribution Drive?
Date: 19 Jan 2008 21:08:17
Message: <4792ad11$1@news.povray.org>
nemesis wrote:
> Chambers <ben### [at] pacificwebguycom> wrote:
>> So, I would like to try an experiment: A group collaboration.  We'll
>> pick a topic (probably something like "tables" or "chairs" or even
>> "writing utensils"), and several people will each contribute one or two
>> items to it.  The result will be published on the library site under a
>> group credit.  If we like the results, we can continue to do such
>> collections to help beef up our library.
>>
>> But before I run off all gung-ho, is anyone else interested in trying
>> this with me?
> 
> this sounds a lot of fun!  A contest with no winners, really. It could
> definitely boost the povray object collection.  I'm in!
> 
> To make it more interesting, how about adding the objects to a scene?  We begin
> with a basic scene with no objects -- say, a restroom -- and people begin
> adding chairs, tables, decorative stuff on tables put there by other users,
> etc...

Sure, but the point is really just to add more (and more useful) things 
to the object collection.

We could do a variety of shoes, for instance - or anything that goes in 
a bathroom.  We could do types of trees, or plants from an herb garden.

As long as
a) the objects are varied enough that you'll (probably) find something 
useful for your scene, and
b) the objects are detailed enough that it's not easier to just make 
your own,

then we should be good.

-- 
...Ben Chambers
www.pacificwebguy.com


Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Charter
Subject: Re: Contribution Drive?
Date: 20 Jan 2008 13:02:53
Message: <47938ccd@news.povray.org>
Chambers wrote:
> One of the problems I've noticed with object downloads is that, for 
> simple objects, its often easier to make it myself using CSG while, for 
> complex objects, the object doesn't quite fit my needs.
> 
> Really, what I would like are collections of themed objects, each of 
> which is non-trivial (ie, it would take more than half an hour of coding 
> to create), and with enough variety that I could find something in there 
> to fit my needs.
> 
> Naturally, I have no time to create such collections.  I'm fairly 
> certain that most people on this NG don't have the time to create a 
> complete collection, either.
> 
> So, I would like to try an experiment: A group collaboration.  We'll 
> pick a topic (probably something like "tables" or "chairs" or even 
> "writing utensils"), and several people will each contribute one or two 
> items to it.  The result will be published on the library site under a 
> group credit.  If we like the results, we can continue to do such 
> collections to help beef up our library.
> 
> But before I run off all gung-ho, is anyone else interested in trying 
> this with me?
> 
Not bad, not bad.  Sounds like a good idea.


Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Charter
Subject: Re: Contribution Drive?
Date: 20 Jan 2008 13:08:47
Message: <47938e2f$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
> Chambers <ben### [at] pacificwebguycom> wrote:
> 
>>So, I would like to try an experiment: A group collaboration.  We'll 
>>pick a topic (probably something like "tables" or "chairs" or even 
>>"writing utensils"), and several people will each contribute one or two 
>>items to it.
> 
> 
>   IMO those objects should also be parametrized so that you can change
> their geometry with identifiers (or macro parameters).
> 
>   For example, you might find a table model which is just perfect, except
> that its legs are too tall. There should be an identifier you can declare
> before the #include (or before calling the macro) which changes the length
> of the legs.
> 
>   In the #include file this can be implemented eg. like this:
> 
> #ifndef SOMEID_TABLE_LEG_LENGTH
> #declare SOMEID_TABLE_LEG_LENGTH = 5;
> #end
> 
> or, alternatively:
> 
> #local SOMEID_TABLE_LEG_LENGTH = 5;
> #ifdef SOMEID_TABLE_LEG_FACTOR
>   #local SOMEID_TABLE_LEG_LENGTH =
>     SOMEID_TABLE_LEG_LENGTH * SOMEID_TABLE_LEG_FACTOR;
> #end
> 
> 
Can be, but do not have to be.  Maybe just point out to contributors 
that more flexibility = more popularity, and leave it at that.


Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Charter
Subject: Re: Contribution Drive?
Date: 20 Jan 2008 13:11:49
Message: <47938ee5$1@news.povray.org>
Chambers wrote:
> nemesis wrote:
> 
>> Chambers <ben### [at] pacificwebguycom> wrote:
>>
>>> So, I would like to try an experiment: A group collaboration.  We'll
>>> pick a topic (probably something like "tables" or "chairs" or even
>>> "writing utensils"), and several people will each contribute one or two
>>> items to it.  The result will be published on the library site under a
>>> group credit.  If we like the results, we can continue to do such
>>> collections to help beef up our library.
>>>
>>> But before I run off all gung-ho, is anyone else interested in trying
>>> this with me?
>>
>>
>> this sounds a lot of fun!  A contest with no winners, really. It could
>> definitely boost the povray object collection.  I'm in!
>>
>> To make it more interesting, how about adding the objects to a scene?  
>> We begin
>> with a basic scene with no objects -- say, a restroom -- and people begin
>> adding chairs, tables, decorative stuff on tables put there by other 
>> users,
>> etc...
> 
> 
> Sure, but the point is really just to add more (and more useful) things 
> to the object collection.
> 
> We could do a variety of shoes, for instance - or anything that goes in 
> a bathroom.  We could do types of trees, or plants from an herb garden.
> 
> As long as
> a) the objects are varied enough that you'll (probably) find something 
> useful for your scene, and
> b) the objects are detailed enough that it's not easier to just make 
> your own,
> 
> then we should be good.
> 
Yeah, both approaches have potential but I agree with you that a narrow 
focus is the best place to start.  Then see if the broad focus approach 
would work.


Post a reply to this message

From: Sabrina Kilian
Subject: Re: Contribution Drive?
Date: 21 Jan 2008 00:26:42
Message: <47942d12$1@news.povray.org>
Chambers wrote:
> But before I run off all gung-ho, is anyone else interested in trying
> this with me?
> 

Count me in, too.


Post a reply to this message

From: John VanSickle
Subject: Re: Contribution Drive?
Date: 22 Jan 2008 17:21:22
Message: <47966c62$1@news.povray.org>
Chambers wrote:
> One of the problems I've noticed with object downloads is that, for 
> simple objects, its often easier to make it myself using CSG while, for 
> complex objects, the object doesn't quite fit my needs.

For some of my more recent prop items I have striven to make as many of 
the parameters dependent on settings that can come from the calling code.

It's simple:

#ifndef(LegRadius)
   #local LegRadius=1;
#end

and then write the SDL for the object to use LegRadius instead of some 
value written into every sphere, cylinder, and torus statement in the 
Leg object.

The dimensions of objects like furniture, eating and drinking utensils, 
and even many kinds of vehicles can be greatly expanded in this way.

Another .INC file I commonly use creates a picture that can be hung on a 
wall.  The corners of the frame, and the edges of the frame, are 
specified by means of creating one object for each, which are then 
scaled, rotated, and translated to create the frame; the content of the 
picture is accomplished with a texture specification (so that the 
picture can be a mirror with just one change to the calling code).  The 
width and height of the picture are also set by the calling code, as well.

The textures are the most easily changed setting.  Every texture used in 
an object should be controlled by code of this form:

#infdef(CasingTexture)
   #local CasingTexture = texture { /* default texture code here */ }
#end

The immediate effect of all this is that an object that is useful in the 
early stage of scene layout can be specified with a minimum of parameter 
settings, and then quickly refined later in the process.

Regards,
John


Post a reply to this message

From: John VanSickle
Subject: Re: Contribution Drive?
Date: 23 Jan 2008 15:45:29
Message: <4797a769@news.povray.org>
Chambers wrote:
> So, I would like to try an experiment: A group collaboration.  We'll 
> pick a topic (probably something like "tables" or "chairs" or even 
> "writing utensils"), and several people will each contribute one or two 
> items to it.  The result will be published on the library site under a 
> group credit.  If we like the results, we can continue to do such 
> collections to help beef up our library.

If the topic is tables, I have over a dozen different ones to 
contribute, all created for various IRTC entries over the years.

Regards,
John


Post a reply to this message

Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 2 Messages >>>

Copyright 2003-2021 Persistence of Vision Raytracer Pty. Ltd.