POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : "ultra_wide_angle" use perspective? Server Time
28 Mar 2024 14:41:51 EDT (-0400)
  "ultra_wide_angle" use perspective? (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: fuyok
Subject: "ultra_wide_angle" use perspective?
Date: 25 Oct 2019 03:00:00
Message: <web.5db29c35e36875162dc3df130@news.povray.org>
Hello.

I'm a Japanese student. I use POV-Ray for my research.

I would like to hear about the projection method of "ultra_wide_angle" camera.
CG drawn with an ultra-wide-angle camera shows a distortion of the curve that
cannot be seen with perspective, but the actual wide-angle camera is due to
perspective projection, so there is almost no distortion. In POV-Ray, I would
like to know how the super wide angle is expressed and what projection method is
used.

in POV-Ray. (A real lens has a theory that formalizes distortion called
"distortion aberration")

I'm sorry in my very poor English.

Post a reply to this message

> I'm a Japanese student. I use POV-Ray for my research.
>
> I would like to hear about the projection method of "ultra_wide_angle" camera.
> CG drawn with an ultra-wide-angle camera shows a distortion of the curve that
> cannot be seen with perspective, but the actual wide-angle camera is due to
> perspective projection, so there is almost no distortion. In POV-Ray, I would
> like to know how the super wide angle is expressed and what projection method is
> used.

This is explained in the documentation, section 3.4.2.2 «Types of
projection».
It start here :
https://www.povray.org/documentation/3.7.0/r3_4.html#r3_4_2_2

> In addition, I would like to know if there is a way to manipulate “distortion”
> in POV-Ray. (A real lens has a theory that formalizes distortion called
> "distortion aberration")
>
> I'm sorry in my very poor English.

You can make a lens and place it just in front of the camera.
#declare Lens=intersection{
   sphere{0 1} // at the origin, radius of 1 unit
   box{<1,1,1><-1,-1,0.1>} // remove the rear part
   pigment{rgbt 1} // perfectly transparent
   translate -0.88*z // 0.02 unit in front of the default camera
   interior{ior 1.5 dispersion 1.01 dispersion_sample 12}
   // make it optically active
}

This will create a basic plano-convex lens that show some chromatic
aberration.
It is located and oriented correctly for the default camera orientation
and location.
You can scale is to better suit your need. You can scale unevenly.
You can change the dispersion to make the dispersion more or less obvious.

You should have some basic to start experimenting.

Alain

Post a reply to this message