POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Need help to measure performance of Povray Server Time
28 Mar 2024 10:14:11 EDT (-0400)
  Need help to measure performance of Povray (Message 1 to 10 of 11)
From: Deepak
Subject: Need help to measure performance of Povray
Date: 28 Jun 2019 06:15:00
Message: <web.5d15e85a271ef7f34056c6480@news.povray.org>
Hi,

I am new to try with Povray application. I am trying to test performance of
various compiler like (gcc, clang) on CPU with
scenes/advanced/benchmark/benchmark.pov (as suggested here-
http://www.povray.org/download/benchmark.php)

What I observed is the rendering is finishing in ~1.5 seconds only.
So it's difficult to compare the results with various compiler for such short
duration.

Is there any large data set which runs for considerable time? or how to change
or what parameter to change on .ini file to run it with considerable time.

Thanks in advance for your help,
Deepak

Post a reply to this message

> I am new to try with Povray application.

enjoy.

> I am trying to test performance of
> various compiler like (gcc, clang) on CPU with
> scenes/advanced/benchmark/benchmark.pov (as suggested here-
> http://www.povray.org/download/benchmark.php)
>
> What I observed is the rendering is finishing in ~1.5 seconds only.
> So it's difficult to compare the results with various compiler for such short
> duration.
> Is there any large data set which runs for considerable time?

every POV-Ray install comes with a large number of example scenes[*], some of
which will take a fair amount of time to render; animations too are available.

also, if you "nose around", some of the newsgroups here often contain SDL
code/scenes provided by other users.

[*] typically in %INSTALLDIR%/scenes.

> or what parameter to change on .ini file to run it with considerable time.
> Thanks in advance for your help,
> Deepak

regards, jr.

Post a reply to this message

> > I am new to try with Povray application.
>
> enjoy.
>
> > I am trying to test performance of
> > various compiler like (gcc, clang) on CPU with
> > scenes/advanced/benchmark/benchmark.pov (as suggested here-
> > http://www.povray.org/download/benchmark.php)
> >
> > What I observed is the rendering is finishing in ~1.5 seconds only.
> > So it's difficult to compare the results with various compiler for such short
> > duration.
> > Is there any large data set which runs for considerable time?
>
> every POV-Ray install comes with a large number of example scenes[*], some of
> which will take a fair amount of time to render; animations too are available.

animations are an interesting choice.  i have noticed that an average of the
time-stamps yields a different number from that reported by the program.
perhaps it is system overhead, or perhaps it is just my machines, or maybe the
numbers converge with a large enough sample.
  to do animation add at the bottom of povbench.ini

; begin
Output_To_File=On ;so you will have files with time-stamps

Initial_Frame=1
Final_Frame=100
Initial_Clock=0
Final_Clock=1

Pause_when_Done=off

Cyclic_Animation=off  ;;insures it reaches 1.0
;end

i believe without testing that later parameters overwrite earlier ones.  if not
so you will have to comment out those earlier variables.

> also, if you "nose around", some of the newsgroups here often contain SDL
> code/scenes provided by other users.
>
> [*] typically in %INSTALLDIR%/scenes.
>
> > or what parameter to change on .ini file to run it with considerable time.
> > Thanks in advance for your help,
> > Deepak

changing the ini file might be a better choice for you as opposed to animation.
first to mind is the resolution; the ini specifies a small picture, increasing
it to ten times height and width should increase rendering time a hundred fold.
something like this, again at the end of ini to overwrite original values

;begin
Width=5120
Height=5120
;end

you can also increase antialiasing (these are the default values)

;begin
Antialias_Depth=3        ;increasing takes longer
Antialias_Threshold=0.3  ;decreasing takes longer
Sampling_Method=1        ;no idea what the effect on time is
;end

however, povbench.pov might not be the best choice for you.  it has a fast parse
time and a slow render time.  parsing uses only one core; therefore slow,
many-core machines are faster than fewer-core, fast clock machines when you
compare similar cores*hertz.  i am not familiar with the standard scenes that
come with povray to advise you which scene files have long or short parse versus
render.

but now the only thing that prompted me to post; what kind of monster machine
are you running that is 100x faster than my best rendering engine (drool)?

Post a reply to this message

> I am new to try with Povray application. I am trying to test performance of
> various compiler like (gcc, clang) on CPU with
> scenes/advanced/benchmark/benchmark.pov (as suggested here-
> http://www.povray.org/download/benchmark.php)
>
> What I observed is the rendering is finishing in ~1.5 seconds only.
> So it's difficult to compare the results with various compiler for such short
> duration.
>
> Is there any large data set which runs for considerable time? or how to change
> or what parameter to change on .ini file to run it with considerable time.
>

> Thanks in advance for your help,
> Deepak

Some things that you can do that will increase the rendering time :
(original values from the ini file)
For the INI file :
Increase the resolution. Something like 4000 by 4000 (512 by 512)
Lower the antialias threshold to 0.01 (0.3) and Sampling_method=2 (1)
Set High_Reproducibility=on (off)

Within the scene itself :
Turn radiosity ON (this will have a large effect):
#declare use_radiosity = true; (false)
In the global_settings block:
Set max_trace_level to 255 (12)
Increase the radiosity count to 800 (80)
Set nearest_count to 20 (5)
Reduce error_bound to 0.2, or even 0.1 (0.5)
Change low_error_factor to 0.2 (0.5)
Increase recursion_limit to 3 (1)
Increase the photons quality:
Set photons{spacing 0.001} (0.007) [this will multiply the number of
photons shot by 49]

Change the area_light:
light_source {
    <-0.7, 0.83, 0.24>*150000
    color rgb <3.43,2.87,1.95>
    #if (use_area_light=true)
       area_light 4000*x 4000*y  129,129 (4,4)
   adaptive 3 //added Will start sampling at 9 by 9
       jitter
       orient
       circular
    #end

    media_attenuation on
    media_interaction on

}

In the definition of M_Watx4, add dispersion :
    interior {
       ior 1.31
dispersion 1.01 //added
dispersion_samples 20 //added
       fade_distance 0.8
       fade_power 1001.0
       fade_color <0.02, 0.20, 0.06>
    }
Do the same for Mat_Glass :
    interior {
       ior 1.5
dispersion 1.02 //added
dispersion_samples 20 //added
       fade_distance 0.12
       fade_power 1001
       fade_color <0.6, 0.5, 0.7>
    }

Change the media used for the clouds:
samples 120 (7,7)

Post a reply to this message

>>> I am new to try with Povray application.
>>
>> enjoy.
>>
>>> I am trying to test performance of
>>> various compiler like (gcc, clang) on CPU with
>>> scenes/advanced/benchmark/benchmark.pov (as suggested here-
>>> http://www.povray.org/download/benchmark.php)
>>>
>>> What I observed is the rendering is finishing in ~1.5 seconds only.
>>> So it's difficult to compare the results with various compiler for such short
>>> duration.
>>> Is there any large data set which runs for considerable time?
>>
>> every POV-Ray install comes with a large number of example scenes[*], some of
>> which will take a fair amount of time to render; animations too are available.
>>

> animations are an interesting choice.  i have noticed that an average of the
> time-stamps yields a different number from that reported by the program.
> perhaps it is system overhead, or perhaps it is just my machines, or maybe the
> numbers converge with a large enough sample.
>    to do animation add at the bottom of povbench.ini
>
> ; begin
> Output_To_File=On ;so you will have files with time-stamps
>
> Initial_Frame=1
> Final_Frame=100
> Initial_Clock=0
> Final_Clock=1
>
> Pause_when_Done=off
>
> Cyclic_Animation=off  ;;insures it reaches 1.0
> ;end
>
> i believe without testing that later parameters overwrite earlier ones.  if not
> so you will have to comment out those earlier variables.

If any parameter appears more than once, the last will always prevail.

>> also, if you "nose around", some of the newsgroups here often contain SDL
>> code/scenes provided by other users.
>>
>> [*] typically in %INSTALLDIR%/scenes.
>>
>>> or what parameter to change on .ini file to run it with considerable time.
>>> Thanks in advance for your help,
>>> Deepak
>
> changing the ini file might be a better choice for you as opposed to animation.
> first to mind is the resolution; the ini specifies a small picture, increasing
> it to ten times height and width should increase rendering time a hundred fold.
> something like this, again at the end of ini to overwrite original values
>
> ;begin
> Width=5120
> Height=5120
> ;end
>
> you can also increase antialiasing (these are the default values)
>
> ;begin
> Antialias_Depth=3        ;increasing takes longer
> Antialias_Threshold=0.3  ;decreasing takes longer
> Sampling_Method=1        ;no idea what the effect on time is
> ;end

Sampling_method have a minimal effect on the render time. Method 2 is
slightly slower at low depth, but gives better results. The time
increase get less important with larger depth due to it's adaptive and
recursive nature.

Another thing that will take longer is to turn on radiosity. Only demand
changing a single variable in the scene itself.

Post a reply to this message

> Some things that you can do that will increase the rendering time :

Subsurface sampling will also increase rendering time (a lot!!)

I encountered this this past week and was nearly heartbroken. :(

Michael

Post a reply to this message

> > I am new to try with Povray application. I am trying to test performance of
> > various compiler like (gcc, clang) on CPU with
> > scenes/advanced/benchmark/benchmark.pov (as suggested here-
> > http://www.povray.org/download/benchmark.php)
> >
> > What I observed is the rendering is finishing in ~1.5 seconds only.
> > So it's difficult to compare the results with various compiler for such short
> > duration.
> >
> > Is there any large data set which runs for considerable time? or how to change
> > or what parameter to change on .ini file to run it with considerable time.
> >

> > Thanks in advance for your help,
> > Deepak
> >

> Some things that you can do that will increase the rendering time :
> (original values from the ini file)
> For the INI file :
> Increase the resolution. Something like 4000 by 4000 (512 by 512)
> Lower the antialias threshold to 0.01 (0.3) and Sampling_method=2 (1)
> Set High_Reproducibility=on (off)
>
> Within the scene itself :
> Turn radiosity ON (this will have a large effect):
> #declare use_radiosity = true; (false)
> In the global_settings block:
> Set max_trace_level to 255 (12)
> Increase the radiosity count to 800 (80)
> Set nearest_count to 20 (5)
> Reduce error_bound to 0.2, or even 0.1 (0.5)
> Change low_error_factor to 0.2 (0.5)
> Increase recursion_limit to 3 (1)
> Increase the photons quality:
> Set photons{spacing 0.001} (0.007) [this will multiply the number of
> photons shot by 49]
>
> Change the area_light:
> light_source {
>     <-0.7, 0.83, 0.24>*150000
>     color rgb <3.43,2.87,1.95>
>     #if (use_area_light=true)
>        area_light 4000*x 4000*y  129,129 (4,4)
>    adaptive 3 //added Will start sampling at 9 by 9
>        jitter
>        orient
>        circular
>     #end
>
>     media_attenuation on
>     media_interaction on
>
> }
>
> In the definition of M_Watx4, add dispersion :
>     interior {
>        ior 1.31
> dispersion 1.01 //added
> dispersion_samples 20 //added
>        fade_distance 0.8
>        fade_power 1001.0
>        fade_color <0.02, 0.20, 0.06>
>     }
> Do the same for Mat_Glass :
>     interior {
>        ior 1.5
> dispersion 1.02 //added
> dispersion_samples 20 //added
>        fade_distance 0.12
>        fade_power 1001
>        fade_color <0.6, 0.5, 0.7>
>     }
>
> Change the media used for the clouds:
> samples 120 (7,7)

Hi Alain,

Thanks for your suggestion. I tried changing benchmark.pov and benchmark.ini
files and observed that render time is increased too much. The application is
running for hours. Is it expected?
Also let me know if any specific option to run/render in parallel on multicore
system.

I will Try your another suggestion too and update.

Thanks,
Deepak

Post a reply to this message