POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Need help to measure performance of Povray : Re: Need help to measure performance of Povray Server Time
16 Apr 2024 08:40:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Need help to measure performance of Povray
From: Alain
Date: 28 Jun 2019 11:46:01
Message: <5d163639$1@news.povray.org>
Le 19-06-28 à 10:01, green a écrit :
> "jr" <cre### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
>> hi,
>>
>> "Deepak" <dee### [at] iiitbnet> wrote:
>>> I am new to try with Povray application.
>>
>> enjoy.
>>
>>> I am trying to test performance of
>>> various compiler like (gcc, clang) on CPU with
>>> scenes/advanced/benchmark/benchmark.pov (as suggested here-
>>> http://www.povray.org/download/benchmark.php)
>>>
>>> What I observed is the rendering is finishing in ~1.5 seconds only.
>>> So it's difficult to compare the results with various compiler for such short
>>> duration.
>>> Is there any large data set which runs for considerable time?
>>
>> every POV-Ray install comes with a large number of example scenes[*], some of
>> which will take a fair amount of time to render; animations too are available.
>>

> animations are an interesting choice.  i have noticed that an average of the
> time-stamps yields a different number from that reported by the program.
> perhaps it is system overhead, or perhaps it is just my machines, or maybe the
> numbers converge with a large enough sample.
>    to do animation add at the bottom of povbench.ini
>
> ; begin
> Output_To_File=On ;so you will have files with time-stamps
>
> Initial_Frame=1
> Final_Frame=100
> Initial_Clock=0
> Final_Clock=1
>
> Pause_when_Done=off
>
> Cyclic_Animation=off  ;;insures it reaches 1.0
> ;end
>
> i believe without testing that later parameters overwrite earlier ones.  if not
> so you will have to comment out those earlier variables.

If any parameter appears more than once, the last will always prevail.

>> also, if you "nose around", some of the newsgroups here often contain SDL
>> code/scenes provided by other users.
>>
>> [*] typically in %INSTALLDIR%/scenes.
>>
>>> or what parameter to change on .ini file to run it with considerable time.
>>> Thanks in advance for your help,
>>> Deepak
>
> changing the ini file might be a better choice for you as opposed to animation.
> first to mind is the resolution; the ini specifies a small picture, increasing
> it to ten times height and width should increase rendering time a hundred fold.
> something like this, again at the end of ini to overwrite original values
>
> ;begin
> Width=5120
> Height=5120
> ;end
>
> you can also increase antialiasing (these are the default values)
>
> ;begin
> Antialias_Depth=3        ;increasing takes longer
> Antialias_Threshold=0.3  ;decreasing takes longer
> Sampling_Method=1        ;no idea what the effect on time is
> ;end

Sampling_method have a minimal effect on the render time. Method 2 is
slightly slower at low depth, but gives better results. The time
increase get less important with larger depth due to it's adaptive and
recursive nature.

Another thing that will take longer is to turn on radiosity. Only demand
changing a single variable in the scene itself.