POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : sunlight & night + day Server Time
28 Mar 2024 12:16:27 EDT (-0400)
  sunlight & night + day (Message 1 to 9 of 9)
From: folkert
Subject: sunlight & night + day
Date: 26 Feb 2018 08:15:00
Message: <web.5a94073e29363f932733f2c00@news.povray.org>
Hi,

I'm using the following code to produce sun-light in a povray scene:

// distance: 150.000.000km, diameter 1.932.000km
//Declare variables so you won't have mysterious numbers all over your code:
#declare V_SUN = <3000, 3000, 3000>; //Not necessarily overhead.
#declare dSun = vlength (V_SUN) * (1390000/150000000);

light_source
{  V_SUN, color White
   area_light dSun * x, dSun * z, 5, 5 adaptive 1 jitter
   circular orient //Using this, the Sun doesn't have to be overhead.
   parallel point_at 0
   looks_like
   {  sphere
      {  0, dSun //Location is relative to the light_source, not the origin.
         pigment { color rgb <1, 1.0, 0.85> }
         //Give the Sun a glowing appearance:
         finish { diffuse 0 ambient 1 } //POV-Ray 3.6.
            //or
         finish { diffuse 0 ambient 0 emission 1 } //POV-Ray 3.7.
      }
   }
}

This works very well.

I'm now trying to simulate night and day. I thought I just could add a
rotate<clock, 0, 0> just before the last line and control that using +Ksomevalue
on the commandline (which works fine for rotating other objects). For this
sunlight it does not have any effect.
What am I doing wrong?

regards

Post a reply to this message