POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Stacking stones without overlapping Server Time
28 Mar 2024 08:39:03 EDT (-0400)
  Stacking stones without overlapping (Message 55 to 64 of 64)
From: Bald Eagle
Subject: Re: Stacking stones without overlapping
Date: 19 Jul 2017 10:10:01
Message: <web.596f6779d8d105e9c437ac910@news.povray.org>
Amidst the chaos of RL, (I moved over the weekend) I managed to work out a
reliable placement of a sphere tangent to all 4 faces of any irregular
tetrahedron.
I worked out some macros to generate the determinant of a 4x4 matrix, based on
the Laplace expansion, or expansion by minors, but for whatever reason that
didn't play nicely with my tetrahedra.
I might have to shovel a lot of output to the debug stream and work out a smaple
problem by hand to see if there's a bug somewhere.

I modified some code from John Burkardt, and that seemed to work, so ...

It's immediately apparent that there will be large gaps between such spheres in
a random tetrahedral "mesh", and these guys have done some work on that next
step:
http://www.afhalifax.ca/magazine/wp-content/sciences/EmpilementDeDisques/ProducingPacking/Initialization.pdf

certainly one can see how the Delaunay-optimized triangles make the incircles
pack much more nicely, so that's a fairly important first-step to filling space
by this method.

Wondering how Ari's doing....    :D

Post a reply to this message

> Amidst the chaos of RL, (I moved over the weekend) I managed to work out a
> reliable placement of a sphere tangent to all 4 faces of any irregular
> tetrahedron.
> I worked out some macros to generate the determinant of a 4x4 matrix, based on
> the Laplace expansion, or expansion by minors, but for whatever reason that
> didn't play nicely with my tetrahedra.
> I might have to shovel a lot of output to the debug stream and work out a smaple
> problem by hand to see if there's a bug somewhere.
>
> I modified some code from John Burkardt, and that seemed to work, so ...
>

> It's immediately apparent that there will be large gaps between such spheres in
> a random tetrahedral "mesh", and these guys have done some work on that next
> step:

http://www.afhalifax.ca/magazine/wp-content/sciences/EmpilementDeDisques/ProducingPacking/Initialization.pdf

> certainly one can see how the Delaunay-optimized triangles make the incircles
> pack much more nicely, so that's a fairly important first-step to filling space
> by this method.
>
> Wondering how Ari's doing....    :D

Hi, guys! Haven't been here for a while because I am trying to find a way which
I could 'understand'.(I have found a lot of research papers on this topic but
none of them are comprehensible for me) Therefore, I ended up finish my project
*in a very simple way*. Just make random spheres and test with distance
equation. And that's it. :(
http://i.imgur.com/xH64ud9.jpg
*Dawn it! I hope I can find a way to improve the code so that they won't float*

Post a reply to this message

> Hi, guys! Haven't been here for a while because I am trying to find a way which
> I could 'understand'.(I have found a lot of research papers on this topic but
> none of them are comprehensible for me) Therefore, I ended up finish my project
> *in a very simple way*. Just make random spheres and test with distance
> equation. And that's it.:(
> http://i.imgur.com/xH64ud9.jpg
> *Dawn it! I hope I can find a way to improve the code so that they won't
> float*

Good of you to come back. :)

I said at the beginning that it was not trivial. I wonder what your
lecturer's solution would be?

Your image looks a good solution but you are an Engineer. What were your
tolerances?

Now you know your way here. Don't be a stranger. :)

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message