POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Import of measurement data (ASCII format) in animation Server Time
28 Mar 2024 15:37:38 EDT (-0400)
  Import of measurement data (ASCII format) in animation (Message 11 to 20 of 34)
From: JorgeAE
Subject: Re: Import of measurement data (ASCII format) in animation
Date: 2 Mar 2016 07:15:00
Message: <web.56d6d817a405651babd853180@news.povray.org>

> You can always post your WIPs (Works in Progress) and SDL in the appropriate
> sections as attachments so that we can see exactly what you're trying to do and
> see where any difficult spots and hard-to-spot errors may be.

Thank you all for your extremely useful advice!

I have been trying out some of the ideas suggested and I am now starting with
the simplest model and will expand it to a more complex and better looking one
after gaining some more experience. I just need to get to that point, where the
basic model works :).

The "prism" function seemed to me a good way of modelling the plate, due to the
given conditions in my case (1D vibration). For the animation I chose the linear
spline curve, since I managed to make it work in other animations I tried
before.

Given this, my approach consists of assigning each of the 6 points the plate is
built up of one linear spline curve generated by the vibration data. Since I
have not yet figured out how to work properly with the array definition and
reading in, I just copied a fraction of the data points from the .txt file into
my spline curve definition. Then I defined a translating vector transformation
"vtransform" along the spline curve and assigned it to a separately declared
point of the prism. Now, this sounds so simple and yet it is not working. I am
afraid, I am committing a huge mistake or omitting a "vital" aspect regarding
the sintax :/ .

It would be awesome, if you guys take a look at my (very simple) code and give
me a hint where the error is. I can't attach anything, so I have to copy my code
in here. Thank you very much in advance!

  background{White}
  camera {
    angle 20
    location <2, 10, -30>
    look_at <0, 0, -1>
    rotate <0,40,0>
  }
  light_source { <20, 20, -20> color White }

#declare P1 = <0, -3.7 >;
#declare P2 = <0, -4.3 >;
#declare P3 = <0, -3.8 >;
#declare P4 = <0, -4.1 >;