POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Want to attach one object to another Server Time
28 May 2024 21:03:13 EDT (-0400)
  Want to attach one object to another (Message 16 to 25 of 25)
From: James Holsenback
Subject: Re: Want to attach one object to another
Date: 21 Jun 2013 10:08:41
Message: <51c45e69$1@news.povray.org>
On 06/21/2013 09:47 AM, Stephen wrote:
> On 21/06/2013 1:25 PM, James Holsenback wrote:
>> then maybe the once keyword isn't appropriate
>
> Taking into account that the label does not use the full circumference
> of a cylinder. I created a CSG intersection and tried to map that. I
> found it very difficult to get the scaling right. My usual method of
> doing this is to pad the outside of the image with a transparent colour
> so that there are no transformations to worry about. Only working out
> the size of the image within an image. I've never been happy with doing
> that, though.
>
> So I used a bi-cubic patch and planer mapping, that worked better.
>
> I would like to see an example using cylindrical mapping so that image
> was fully visible on only part of the surface.

a little more information on the topic:

http://wiki.povray.org/content/Knowledgebase:Language_Questions_and_Tips#Topic_15

Post a reply to this message

From: gharryh
Date: 21 Jun 2013 11:25:00
Message: <web.51c46fd4c1f827c4520168c30@news.povray.org>
Solved the problem but using something that should not work:
[code]
#macro housing_grnd(L1)
#local L1a = L1 - 16;
difference {
    cylinder{<0,-L1a/2,0><0,L1a/2,0>27.5
        texture { MyBlackRoughPaint }
        texture{
            pigment{
                image_map{ jpeg "RE55.jpg"
                once
                interpolate 4
                }
            translate -.5
            scale .33
            translate .5
            warp{ spherical }
            }
            rotate y*270
        }
    }
    cylinder{<0,L1a/2+.5,0><0,-(L1a/2+.5),0>25.5
        texture{Silver_Metal}
    } // Create a tube
}
#end
[/code]

Found this somewhere writteng to be used with a phere.
Removed the phere and included the cylinder data.
Also with the warp statement.  Doing that it goes wrong.
Using spherical solved it. I cant explain why but the result can be seen here:
http://www.harry-arends.nl/werkgroep/images/RE55_42.png

Post a reply to this message