POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : one question...how?? Server Time
5 Sep 2024 14:21:30 EDT (-0400)
  one question...how?? (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: DreyWerx
Subject: one question...how??
Date: 1 Dec 2000 15:04:16
Message: <3a280440@news.povray.org>
check this out: http://www.geocities.com/Area51/3450/gallery/index.html
how does he do it?  how do you create a triangle like that, and how do you
create a reflection like that? anybody know how i can contact the dude?

Post a reply to this message

From: Chris Huff
Subject: Re: one question...how??
Date: 1 Dec 2000 15:45:12
Message: <chrishuff-20AA81.15455001122000@news.povray.org>
In article <3a280440@news.povray.org>, "DreyWerx"
<you### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:

> how do you create a triangle like that,

You can't. :-)
However, you *can* make something that looks like that from a certain
angle. The triangle doesn't actually connect, but the ends are in line
with the point of view so it looks like the object is a closed triangle.

> and how do you create a reflection like that?

You could use MegaPOV features like no_reflection and no_image, or you
could do fancy bounding so the object is only visible from certain
points...there have been several discussions about these "phantom" or
"ghost" objects in these newsgroups, especially in povray.general,
povray.advanced-users, and povray.binaries.images. Or you could attempt
to fake the mirror, put a sheet of glass there instead and duplicate
mirror-images of the objects behind it, but this will be difficult,
viewpoint-dependant, and still not quite accurate. That isn't done in
this image, you can see the reflection of the ground is at a different
angle and the illumination is what you would expect from a real mirror.

> anybody know how i can contact the dude?

Maybe searching for "Erwin Bonsma" on Google or Alltheweb would turn up
an e-mail address, I didn't see one on the site.

--
Christopher James Huff

<><

Post a reply to this message

For a wonderful "tutorial" on building an impossible
object, check out the second place winner from July's
IRTC.  Says it better than words :-)

http://www.irtc.org/anims/2000-07-15.html

"DreyWerx" <you### [at] hotmailcom> wrote in message
> check this out: http://www.geocities.com/Area51/3450/gallery/index.html
> how does he do it?  how do you create a triangle like that, and how do you
> create a reflection like that? anybody know how i can contact the dude?

Post a reply to this message

> how does he do it?  how do you create a triangle like that, and how do you
> create a reflection like that? anybody know how i can contact the dude?

Wouln't it be possible to make a drawing of this 'impossible triangle'
and map the image on a flat object of the correct shape and size that
throws the _seemingly_ correct shadows? You can't see it's 3D structure!!
--
Regards,  Sander

Post a reply to this message